Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What? More swelling?




I spent the night last night back at the Ronald McDonald House (RMH) and my mom stayed at the hospital with Kyara. I had a very hard time leaving her. I am feeling completely torn between staying with Kyara (who was awake and wanting me to stay with her) and Kassey (who is still nursing). I miss Skylar and Gunars, too. I had a bit of a breakdown... I guess all this stuff kinda hit me. I have regrouped and I am feeling better.


So, when I came back to the hospital this morning, I was shocked to see Kyara's face completely swollen. Her left eye was swollen shut, she had a large (HUGE) lump of swelling on the side of her head, and the swelling was increasing around her neck and into her chest on the left side. WHAT IS THIS?? It seems that the leak in the suture line from her neck is leaking air (and a little fluid) and it is going into the tissues in her neck, face, and chest. The doctors decided to put in another larger chest tube on the left side (they used the same hole and removed the smaller tube). We are hoping this will help eliminate any more swelling. The swelling that is already present will have to be reabsorbed by the body. This will take a couple (2-4) days.


I also learned that we are looking at probably 3+ more weeks here. Looks like we will be spending Thanksgiving in Ann Arbor. She is on heavy pain and sedation medications that cause withdrawal symptoms if not weaned carefully. Just the weaning can take a couple of weeks, and we don't even have the breathing tube out, yet. As for the breathing tube, they are still hoping to take it out by the end of the week.


One of the nurses during the night shift has been braiding Kyara's hair. What a sweet gesture! This time she put some ribbon in it and wrapped it up by her head. Very cute! Like a beautiful present with a bow on top!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyara,

You are in great hands there with your Medical staff and your sweet family. We just want to put our arms around you for a big hug! We know this fight can't be easy, but we know that God will be with you every step of the way. We continue to pray for His complete and rapid healing.

Thanks Mom for the pictures. They do make us feel almost like we are there. We are praying for you and Dad every day too. We can empathize with the feelings of being torn in different directions with your babies. You have such remarkable and confident girls because being there for each of them is so important to you. You are outstanding parents, and we admire what you are doing to keep things normal for each of your girls. We know that can't be easy for either of you.

We Love You All!
Mrs. Carlisle and Mrs. Laurie

Michelle said...

Kyara,
You fight back!! The leaking and swelling soon will stop, and you will be good as new! Hang in there Mom - you are doing what you need to do for all your family. We are watching out for Skylar while she is here at school, and praying for ALL of you several times a day!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Genie... Kyara has turned a corner and is now on a straight path to recovery... hang in there and stay strong... I know it's hard... but you know you have it in you!!! :-)
Lots of love, Tina

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Genie. You are an inspiration every day to me. Seeing you threw this entire ordeal...you have been so strong. This started 2 years ago and will be over very soon. Saw Gunars walking Skylar into school today. I know it is so hard to be apart from them. Hang in there...she is on the road to recovery and you will be home soon!
Love to you, Marcia Fields

Anonymous said...

OK... so I hang out with 2 year olds all day.....I know it should be through not threw....duh! Just keeping you on your toes. Marcia

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about all of you up there. Kyara is fighting and strong and the swelling will go down soon. You guys are such a neat family and are going to be great. I am thinking about you guys all the time. Love ya,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Kyara,
I bought you a pretty big monkey and dressed it up for you. I hope you like it, I know I do. I am going to make my mom give it to Skylar to bring to you. My family is praying for you and I know you will be better soon. I miss you being in class.
Your Friend,
Audri Brogan
Classmate