Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Finally, a pretty quite night...

So, last night was pretty quiet. My mom stayed at the hospital with Kyara and said she slept pretty well. Kyara is still very swollen in the face, but with time that will go away. She is also draining from the tube in her back. The stuff coming out is very thick, so the nurses are flushing the tube every 2 hours to keep it from clogging up. The doctors are going to add TPA (clot buster) to the tube and the area where the fluid collection is to try to liquidify the collection better. They have also decreased Kyara's respiratory settings again...one more step towards getting the breathing tube out. The doctors are planning on decreasing it again later today and start "sprints" to exercise her lungs tomorrow. Hopefully we will remove the tube later this weekend or early next week. We have to wait and see how she tolerates the sprints, but the doctors say she is improving and looking good respiratory wise. Otherwise, things are holding still and she is stable.

Kassey has begun to really crawl on her hands and knees at the RMH. She has been doing a military crawl for sometime and every now and then would get her belly up off the floor, but now she is truely crawling more often. I am sad I did not see this transition, my mom told me about it. For the most part, when I see Kassey it is to feed her or put her to sleep. Having been there for Skylar and Kyara every move, I feel sad missing out on Kassey's changes. I am beginning to understand how hard it must be for Gunars to miss the girls' first steps, and for any working parent to leave their babies for someone else to witness these milestones.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great news that she is showing consistent signs of improvement! tough cookie!!! As for Kassey... I know it's hard... but stay focused on all the GREAT moments you'll share with her and her two sisters in the near future.... :-)

Kim Conn said...

I hope you are hanging in there! You are such a great mother to all of your girls...Kassey will understand someday why you missed the first crawling because of her big sister...who is such a fighter! We are all pulling for her to get well soon...

Anonymous said...

We are all happy to hear that Kyara is steadily improving. We miss her so much here. I know it is hard not being with all your sweet girls at every moment, but soon you guys will all be together again for every precious milestone. We completely empathize with how that must feel. We continue to pray for all of you.

Kyara's classmates have the following messages for her:

Audri: I hope you feel better.
Caden: I love you and I miss you.
Justin: I love you.
Andrew: I miss you.
Gavin: I want you to have some Thanksgiving dinner soon and I love you.
Creighton: I want you to come to my house and I love you.
Joshua: I miss you and I want you to come to birthday party when you feel better.
Austin: I love you. Come to my house.
Sammie: I hope you feel better.
Angelina: I love you.
Gabe: I love you.
Alexis: Have a good Thanksgiving. I miss you.
Owen: I love you and I want you to come to my birthday party and I want you to come to my house.
Kyle: I hope you get better and I want you to have a good Thanksgiving.
Ryan: I want you to come home.
Antonio: I love you.
Lanna: I love you and I want to let you come to my house.
David: Come to my house and come to my birthday. Have a good Thanksgiving.
Dylan: I love you.

We all love you tons and are sending 21 of the biggest hugs ever.
Mrs. Carlisle, Mrs. Laurie and your "Wolf Cub" friends

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, Kyara! What inspiring respiratory news! Your mom is doing an awesome job keeping all of us informed on how you are doing! She's so smart :)

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We are mailing cards that Megan has made for you. She and Matthew want daily updates on you.

God is continuing to give you strong healing powers! Stay strong!

Love,
Lorri and Megan

Anonymous said...

You and Kyara are so strong. There may be an olympic weight lifting medal for you in the future, if you play your cards right. Keep up the good work Genie and mom, or your tag team name...Two Tough Mothers...

Anonymous said...

Praying you sleep well tonight....all of you! Sending much love - Marcia

Unknown said...

Kyara, you are such a strong little girl! We are missing you so much and can't wait to hear you are up and eating!
To mom & dad & big sister and little sister & grandma, hang in there and know God is watching over each of you.
All of you are in our thoughts and prayers daily!
Much love,
Angela & James Cambas, Sensei's
and all of Ichiban Karate Dojo