Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's a new day


Kyara had a decent night last night. She is quite puffy and swollen/ She has a fever, which they are managing, and her foot is pretty swollen and cold. The doctors are going to do an ultrasound to see if there is a blood clot in her foot or leg. If there is, they plan to give her "blood thinners" to help dissolve it. Her heart rate has also increased some. Today they are planning on giving her Lasix to help her pee off the extra fluid. The doctors think that will help with the heart rate. The doctors have also decided to keep her intubated (breathing tube) until tomorrow at the earliest. They feel she needs that extra time to recover. She still has the chest tube, and it is still draining off a good amount of fluid, so that will not be removed when they take out her breathing tube. To top it all off, she has lost 2 of her IV due to them not functioning as well anymore. The doctors are going to look once more for a PIC line site; if they don't find one they will put in a central line. This will either go in her neck (not likely due to the surgery), her upper chest, or her femoral (crease of her leg, groin area). This morning she has developed some yellow secretions in her chest that the nurse believe could be pnuemonia. She is on antibiotics, so hopefully that will be taken care of soon. They will run labs to see what is causing the fever if she gets to a certain temperature.
The pain doctors have come in and increased Kyara's medications. She is breaking through some of the meds, waking up, and is very agitated. She thrashes around and tries to pull the tubes out. She will mouth that she hurts some, so the pain docs are taking care of this.
It has been very difficult to see Kyara like this. I know the picture is not the best, but it is pretty accurate description of her right now. I am hoping she is able to settle down some so that her body can heal...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyara,
Kassey and I wish you speedy recovery. We love you so very much!!
Bunny and Kassey

Anonymous said...

Keep fighting Kyara. You are such a strong girl and we just know God will help you through this rough time. We are praying you feel better real soon. We are so grateful that you are in great hands and that you have such great care there as your Mom has described. It breaks our hearts to hear that you have to endure any pain or discomfort. We are just so proud of you for being the stong trooper you are.

Your classmates wanted me to write the following messages:
Joshua: I miss you!
Lanna: I want you to get better soon.
Alexis: I miss you Kyara.
Gavin: I love you and miss you.
Sammie: I love you Kyara!
Dylan: I wanted to tell you that I miss you all the time.
Kyle: I love Kyara!
Andrew: I want to get you a pink hockey stick.
Ryan: I hope you feel better soon.
Gabe: I love you.
Creighton: I miss you.
Caden: I miss Kyara.
David: Feel better soon.
Antonio: Get better soon.

We can not wait to hear that you are feeling better. We want you to know how much we love and miss you.

Love,
Mrs. Carlisle, Mrs. Laurie,
and Class

heathervoet said...

Hi Genie,
Thanks for the updates...makes those of us who can't be there to physically support you feel like we're at least involed on some small, tiny level. I admire your strength and I know that Kyara can sense it too and that will help pull her along. We're praying and sending as many positive thoughts as we can...Kyara is such a bright spirit--her strength, sense of humor and energy are all attributes that will help her through this. love to all!
Heather and Jimbo

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you.

Kurt and Heather Isaly

Anonymous said...

wishing you the best of luck with the recovery and I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Johnny