Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Little Bump in the Road

Let me begin by saying Kyara is doing well this morning. Her heartrate is continuing to drop to closer to normal and her bloodpressure is looking great.

Last night at 3:00am, I got a telephone call from the doctors at the hospital. You know how your heart just sinks and you feel like you have no breath? Well....that was me. The doctor began the call with "Kyara is fine, now..." Ok, I can breathe again! Her oxygen saturation had dropped to a very low level and the doctors had to place an emergency chest tube on the other side of her chest. So she now has chest tubes on both the right and left side. The left side had developed air in the space outside the lungs and the chest tube allowed them to drain it out. The problem has been managed, and Kyara is doing well again.

I got a call from our GI in Atlanta, Dr. Meyers, last night before I left the hospital. It meant so much to me to hear from him and to have him reassure me that everything that has been going on with Kyara is expected. I tell you what, Dr. Meyers and Nurse Kim, are unmatched. They have gone above and beyond what I would think doctors will do for you. Scottish Rite is an unbelievable Childrens Hospital. The design of the hospital, the staff, and the accomodations are second to none! We are very lucky to have that in Atlanta. Not to say that Michigan is not nice. It is nice, the doctors are doing a great job with Kyara, but Scottish Rite is special!

Dr. Coran just came in and said Kyara is doing quite well. He is very pleased with everything, and for us to remember this is a major surgery and there will be complications, but she is actually doing better than most of his patients. They are planning to wait on taking the breathing tube out for a few days due to the situation last night. They are also postponing the swallow study until later next week (this study will give us an idea of how successful the surgery was.) He said to be prepared for a leak in the site where they connected the esophagus and the stomach...this usually appears by day 9, but he has seen it at day 11 post-op. So far, Kyara has been dry (no leak) and today is day is considered day 3. If there is a leak, it will close on its own, but we will stay in the hospital until it is closed. This could take up to 3 weeks, or could be as short as 2 days after the leak.

Just to recap, Kyara is looking good. There have been some bumps in the road, but they have been expected and managed by the awesome staff here. Kyara has been very strong and is continuing to get better each day.

9 comments:

Kim Conn said...

I think you are an amazing family...you have ALL been through so much and can't imagine the strength you all have. I hope Kyara is gaining strength and will continue to recover. Dr. Meyers reassured me (as he did Genie) that these are truly common complications and not too unexpected. Hopefully there will be less and less of them in the next few days...

heathervoet said...

Hello!
Like you said Genie...anticipated things associated with a major surgery. I actually saw the pics and thought Kyara looked better then I thought she would. Her color was good, and she wasn't nearly as "puffy" as I expected. Kids bodies are really amazing. Lots of hugs and kisses to everyone. Thanks for the updates...can't WAIT until she's back to her better than old self again. Safe travels to Gun and Skylar. Love you guys!
Heather and Jimbo

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear that Kyara is stable. You have one amazing little girl,who is a fighter. I read your updates every day and continue to pray for Kyara and you.
Marilyn Fairchild (Kyle's mom)

Anonymous said...

Genie,
I am so full of admiration for you as a mom right now. I should have known you would be a strong mom the way you "managed" that soccer field! You all are such an inspiration. What great parents to educate yourselves and pursue all options to make Kyara's future so promising. Just a note if you can get away, Zingerman's (downtown) has great sandwiches!
We'll pray for no more "bumps in the road!"
Sara (Hurst) O'Dell and family

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to hear that everything is going as normal as it could be.
Thinking in all of you every second.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I just saw you blog and I had heard about your daughter's situation a while back from Rakel. I just wanted to express our support for your family - I can't imagine how difficult it must be. Regular family life is demanding enough (we have four kids). Anyway, we are pulling for little Kyara to make a full recovery. Remember to take care of yourselves as well.

Amanda Karvelsson (Robert's wife)

Anonymous said...

Genie,
I am so proud of you! You are taking this on with such grace. I know that all will be well with you guys. Nothing will stop any of you. You have come this far and I know the road will become shorter and shorter and the light at the end of the tunnel will become so much brighter now that the surgery is over. BJ and I talk about you guys and continue to pray that all remains well,
Love,
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Great news! We hope your transition into the Ronald McDonald House goes smoothly. Keep working hard Kyara! I bet you are looking forward to that first yummy milkshake and cookies! Praying dilligently for you all,

The Vaughn's

Shelley Thompson said...

Kyara,
You are such a strong little girl and such a fighter! Our family has been praying for you every day. Gavin misses you very much and talks about you constantly. We are taking care of Skylar for you and are praying for a speedy recovery!