Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday Morning




This morning has been hectic to say the least. I spent the night at the hotel so that I would have a good night rest before a long day today. I got to the hospital at 6:00 am and they were working hard on Kyara. At 5:30 am her oxygen saturation had decreased to a level they were not at all happy with. They took an x-ray and discovered that her right lung was "down." There was so much fluid around her lung that it was not able to open properly. The doctors were called STAT and it was quickly determined that she needed a chest tube. This is a drain tube that is place through the chest wall between her ribs and into the space around the lungs. It is used to drain all the extra fluid off the outside of the lungs so that it can work again. After the chest tube was in place, and ALOT of fluid drained off, they took another xray and it is looking good. The doctors have also ordered a PIC line for her. This is an IV will be able to stay in longer than normal IVs.
Gunars, Skylar and my Dad left today. I cried like a baby. Skylar has been so strong through all of this. Gunars has been great, too. He watched over Kyara like a hawk. I know that he is relieved as I am that Kyara is in stable condition. I am already missing them, but, as Skylar told me, "its only 3 days" until they come back. My dad was very helpful while he was here. He and my mom took care of Skylar and Kassey so that Gunars and I could concentrate on Kyara. I was nice to know they were being looked after.

10 comments:

heathervoet said...

Ahhh Genie sorry to hear about the minor setback. It's so good that you are familiar with all the medical terminology--think how frightening it would be otherwise. Stay Strong---all the prayers and love will make the difference. We're thinking about all of you! We love you guys!
Heather and jimbo

Anonymous said...

Wow Genie... what a scare! Glad to hear that she's showing major improvement. I gasped when I read your entry, but felt fully relieved by the end. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to be there alone right now, but you know that all of our thoughts and prayers are with you - so don't feel alone. Lots of love, from Miami. Tina.

Michelle said...

Just hang in there and fight- it will be ok!

Ms. Michelle

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to remind you that you're in out thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there's anything we can do. Give Kyara a big hug and tell her we're very proud of her and love her very much. Can't wait to see all the girls and how much they've grown. Love all you guys,
John and Judy

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that they were able to get the fluid out of her lung. I know that was a big shock this morning when you got to the hospital but she is in good hands. My prayers are with Kyara and you to help keep her strong. She is a fighter. Thanks for keeping us posted. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the horror you guys had to face this morning. Please give Kyara a hug from Mrs. Laurie and I, and tell her we can't wait until we see her again. I will continue to pray for her full and rapid recovery. She is incredibly strong, but we already knew that, right? :-)

Love you guys,
"Mrs. Carlisle"

Unknown said...

Genie,

I am sorry to hear about this mornings events. I know that you were relieved that they quickly got her stable. You amaze me with your strength. I know that your family is an amazing support. Please know that I am praying for you all now. When you guys get back, I am going to have to come see you guys. I found some pictures of us from along time ago. The girls will love them. Love you! Beth

Dylan said...

Kyara,
I hope you get well soon, so you can come back to our class. I miss playing with you. Be strong, OK? I will pray for you every night before I go to sleep. See you soon,
Love,
Dylan Albritton
(from Mrs. Carlisle's class)

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear all is better now. Genie...You too are strong. Don't forget that. Much love to you all. Going to say prayers with the kids and you are all on top of the list. Marcia Fields

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear about the bump in the road. However, it is reassuring to know that Kyara is receiving the very best of care at UM. Please stay strong and positive. Everyone is looking forward to Kyara's quick return to Mrs. Carlisle's class.

Marilyn Fairchild
(Kyle's mom)