Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Morphine...Who Knew???

Last night sleeping went better, but still not good enough. Kyara slept from 7:00-10:00 as usual, but then did not storm through the night. She rested comfortably and even took a couple of "naps". I am still not satisfied, and neither are the doctors...so they put their heads together and decided to ask about trying morphine tonight. In the past Kyara has had a VERY poor reaction to morphine. She gets extremely agitated, mad, etc. instead of it having a calming effect. But, I am a desperate mother. So after talking it over with the doctors, we decided "nothing ventured, nothing gained." Ok, morphine...here we come.

I am spending the night with Kyara again tonight since we are trying the morphine. I try not to spend two nights in a row at the hospital because it is exhausting. I know this is a long-term recovery and I have to keep up my strength, so I try to go back to the RMH every-other night for some good sleep. Anyhow, tonight I am here with Kyara and I am amazed! Within minutes of giving her the morphine, Kyara fell asleep. She slept soundly for 4-5 hours! Yipee!! At 2:30am, we gave her another dose, and she has fallen back asleep again! An answer to our prayers! Thank God for helping the doctors push me into trying the morphine! We are using an IV dose now, but if it continues to work, they will swap to an oral dose next week.

We are also scheduled for Kyara's dilatation and J-tube placement for Feb. 27. 10 days. I am relieved and terrified at the same time. I am trying to hand this over and know that God will watch over Kyara. I know that when we get closer to the date, I will be a basketcase.

The social worker here has also found a family who has gone through a similar experience for me to talk to. I am excited by this. I can't wait to meet the mother and really pick her brain. It will be nice to talk with someone who has walked in my shoes. The child's accident occured 5 years ago, and he is doing much better now. I want to know how she got her strength, what tricks make life easier, and get an idea of what may lay ahead for us. Every child is different, of course, and their recovery will be different, but to get an idea from someone who has been there, will be great.

A little news on Kyara's therapy... Dan put her in a stander today and she tolerated it for 20 minutes! I didn't have my camera on me, but I will be sure to bring it next time! Of course, Dan had to really help support Kyara while she was in the stander, but it is a tremendous first step. Dr Green and Dr. Devon (Kyara's PM&R doctors) watched her in speech today. They were very impressed and excited to see Kyara mouthing words like "hi" and "bye" when prompted. She also mouthed letters to the alphabet when Maria would stop singing the alphabet song. (Well, she opened and closed her mouth at appropriate times in response to Maria) I have seen Kyara doing this before, but to have the doctors see it and be excited and encouraged by it, was a great new feeling! I admit, I cried...but Dr. Green seemed to well up some, too!

I look forward to seeing what Kyara will do in therapy tomorrow after a good night's rest. I am shocked that morphine seems to be the answer to our prayers. All this time, I have been saying "NO" to morphine, but it has done the trick (at least for tonight :) ) Thank you all for your continued prayers...for sleep, for healing, for comfort and support. God is listening. In His time, our prayers are answered!!!


**Update**
Darn spoiled again. I guess I spoke about 1 hour too soon. Kyara has been up since4:00 am storming. The morphine put her to sleep for a while, but didn't last. Go figure.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Genie, I have been following your posts daily, thinking and praying for Kyara... I have recently (thru an terrible tragedy) come to know a church in West Virginia and their minister. He touched me so much during this very difficult time that I have been folowing his sermons on-line. (I don't get a chance to go to church... so I have adopted this church :0) Here is a sermon I wanted to share with you... if you get a chance check it out. Best Wishes, lots of love and prayers for all of you... stay strong...http://www.fifthavenuebaptist.org/files/sermons/Miracle_Worker.pdf

Anonymous said...

Not sure the whole pist came thru... http://www.fifthavenuebaptist.org/files/sermons/Miracle_Worker.pdf
Again... Best Gammon

Winkie-Dink said...

Genie,
I praise God for the sleep she did get last night. I prayed specifically for sleep all day yesterday. (I pray each time I go to the bathroom---tell Peggy, she'll laugh!) Seriously, we are praying without ceasing. I pray of continued strength for you. Remember everything you are doing is what God is doing through you. We love you.
Winkie

Anonymous said...

We are continually praying for Kyara and more specifically sleep! I am so glad to hear that she got some good rest last night. We'll keep praying for more of the same. It's also great to hear that you will have someone to talk to who is in a similar situation. I teared up too when I read about Kyara standing and mouthing the words to the ABC's...woo hoo, gotta love those Pre-K songs :)! Now you go get some rest too!!

The Lopers

Anonymous said...

Wow... well the good news here is that she got SOME sleep!! Let's hope that it translates to more improvements in therapy today... It's so clear to me that Kyara is trying and she WANTS to come out, she's just so exhausted that she can't do it... so let's hope that today you see more results. What about you Genie? Are you sleeping at all?

My mother wanted me to tell you that she is praying more than ever for you and Kyara. She goes to her treatment every morning, and the minute she lays down to start, the only person that she has in her mind is Kyara... strange time to pray, I know... but she says she can't help it... so... I wanted to share.

Lots of love,

Tina

Anonymous said...

Sounds like progress is being made in therapy whether she sleeps or not. That girls is such a fighter. Fight on Kyara, its a good fight. I hope she gets some more sleep and yall can rest easy.

Matt.

Anonymous said...

Dear Genie and Gunars,

Prayer works! Humans make lots of mistakes, but God can transform anything and anyone. He has supernatural healing powers that we cannot comprehend. We, along with thousands of others who truly believe in God's unlimited power continue to lift up Kyara and your entire family. Kyara never leaves my thoughts, I carry her in my heart and pray continually. We love you all, there is power in PRAYER and we are excited about what He is going to do! Love, Spokane

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I failed to follow your posts for a couple of days because I was traveling and then got swamped with personal issues, but going back to reading your posts really puts things in perspective. I'm happy to hear that the morphine is working somewhat, and that Kyara is making small but significant improvements in therapy every day... I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating all this is, Genie, but like you said, you and Gunars need to support each other with the help of everyone around you and eventually, Kyara will pull through and you will all come out much stronger in the end. We continue to follow Kyara's improvements and pray for her recovery. Know that we're thinking about you.

Unknown said...

Dear Genie,
I read your post often and think of you and Kyara. I am an old 4-H friend of Allen's. I am also a pastor's wife and RN. I wanted to share a Bible verse and thought with you. Sometimes we want to know so much about the future and what will happen we fail to to dwell on what God has revealed to us. Roamns 8:34-39 tells us that Jesus Christ is at the right hand of the Father interceding for us. Christ is praying for you and Kyara. But more importantly nothing can separate us who believe in Christ from the love of God. Absolutely nothing (good days, bad days, the present, the future) can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. So tonight I praY THAT THE LOVE OF CHRIST WOULD SUSTAIN YOU AND KYARA AND THAT YOU WOULD DWELL IN IT AND KNOW HIM MORE THROUGH THIS TIME OF SUFFERING.
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution,or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long;we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth,nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romnas 8:35-39
Praying for you, Sarah Lee