Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, February 5, 2009

2 Weeks and Counting

So, last night Kyara finally slept. I cradled her in my arms all night. Needless to say it was one of the sweetest nights of my life, but one of the most painful, too. She is HEAVY! And when she would get tense, I would try to curl her into a ball in my arms and hold her in a "flexed" position. Have I mentioned she is very STRONG? She broke through my hold some of the time. But, she DID sleep. She would sleep for a couple of hours then wake up for an hour, fall asleep for a couple of hours again, then wake up for an hour. While she was awake, the nurse would come in and "deep suction" her. She is very junky sounding (lots of mucus in the back of her throat which drops her oxygen saturation levels). To suction, they use a flexible straw and pass it through her nose and into her throat. It would bother the stew out of me, but she doesn't seem to mind. Unfortunately, because it is so dry her, Kyara's nose has begun to bleed from all of the suctioning. Today I bought her a humidifer for her bedside. Hopefully that will help.

I need to back up a day, and let you know that on Wednesday we had a lot of commotion. First, my dad went home, Kyara was moved...twice, and Luz Estela and Eriks (Gunars' parents) came to town to help out and see the girls. To make a long story short, my dad was great help and relief for us here. He stayed the night with Kyara so that we could sleep and he stayed with her while Gunars, Mom (Bunny), Skylar, Kassey, and I went bowling. It was fun, but I really wish they had a no smoking rule like they do back home. I am still trying to get the smoke out of my clothes! Oh, I ramble...back on track...

Kyara was moved from the PICU to the rehab floor. I wish I could say she was responding more and getting back to her normal self, but she is still in a major daze (for lack of a better word). She is not in a coma, but she is not giving us much in the way of communication or purposeful movements. Again, that is not to say she is not making any purposeful movements, but we wish she was doing ALOT more. She was given botox shot today and did not react to them. The Kyara we know would have been throwing a huge fit, screaming at the top of her lungs, just from the IDEA of a shot! So things are different. I am just waiting for something to click. I keep thinking that once one thing clicks for her, then other things will start falling in place. So, what is that one thing??? That is the million dollar question! Again, I ramble...sorry - lack of sleep will do that.

As I was saying, Kyara is now on the rehab floor. We got settled in a small room and then the charge nurse came in and asked if we wanted to move. "Well, no not really, but thanks." "It is a bigger room....I think you should check it out." So off I went to check out the new room. It is HUGE compared to the other one. So I repacked ALL of our stuff and off we went! The new floor is good, but now we have to do more of Kyara's care. We went from one-on-one care to six-on-one. Good news is that we get to have more rehab on the floor and that is exactly what Kyara needs.

Today Kyara has been through PT, OT and gotten the botox shots. We went for a little ride up to the 8th floor (family room area) for music and pizza. Kyara rode in the wheelchair we are using here and we dragged her IV pole and feeding pump behind her. It was nice to have everyone together for dinner. I wish Kyara could have been an active participant.

I know today's blog is a bit crazy. I am just writing as things come in my head and I'm sorry if I jumped from thing to thing. Hopefully it makes some sense. Kyara will have more physical therapy and occupational therapy tomorrow and I am ready to get back to her. I feel like I am missing so much when I am not there with her. But tonight, I am tired and going to bed. Good night, thank you for the prayers and thoughts. We are managing, but the support has really helped us keep our spirits up.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars,
We are still praying and believing with you. Kyara will be back, she is waiting on God too. Waiting and trusting in Him. We send our love to each of you and a BIG Happy Birthday to Gunars!!!(Friday)
You are family to us and we are ready to help whenever you ask, or even if you don't ask. Get some rest and we are so happy everyone is there with you. Love, Spokane

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family. We are praying for little Kyara. My son, Dylan, is in Kyara's class. I keep him posted on how she's doing. He says she's coming back to school soon, so they can play in "centers". Let her know her friends miss her. Our prayers will continue on for you and your family.
Danielle Albritton and family

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do not know Kyara or your family but I have heard of your situation through Leah Taylor. I am just letting you know that Kyara and your family are in my prayers. God is all knowing and is in complete control and just continue to trust that. Tomorrow my friends and I at UWF are having a 24 hour of prayer day and know that you all are lifted high!
God bless,
Jessie

Anonymous said...

Hi Genie and Family,
This is Kristi Buck (Aaron Buck's wife)I came across this cause on FB and we just recently learned of how difficult the last several months have been for you and just wanted to send our thoughts and prayers. We live close and if there is anything we can do,please do not hesitate to ask. Genie, you mentioned the strength of a child is amazing and it is but don't underestimate the strength of a mother. God will continue to guide you. Our continuous thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Much Love,
Kristi and Aaron Buck

Cheryl said...

Genie and Gunars,
I would like to pray right now with you, Father God, I lift this family up to You. I know that You only give us as much as we are capable of handling however sometimes You test us right to that edge to make us grow in You and Your name.I pray this family has had the hardest of the test and they are done and that You will heal, comfort, bless, and reward them for their faithfulness and trust in You. Please give them the peace that passes all understanding that only You can provide. Father God place your healing hand upon this beautiful little girl Kyara one of Your own and know that she has in her struggle brought so many to their knees to become more intimate with You in our intercessary prayers for her.I pray for strength, patience and courage for the family and friends ministering to Kyara and her family.
In Your Holy And Wonderful Son Jesus Christ name I pray.
Amen

God Bless you all

Anonymous said...

We continue to lift you up in prayer. May the Lord gift you the rest you and Kyara so desperately need!

Josh misses you, Kyara!

The Sibley Family

ireina said...

I am glad that you are on rehab and out of PICU. Even though you have to do most of the care, it is actually better for her and I believe it will help her recover more. I know with Paul he always did better when we did the medical things, versus a doctor or much less a nurse. How is Skylar holding up with all of this? I know this has to be hard for her seeing her sister sick and not being at home in school with her friends. Child life services usually are good at talking with siblings and helping them express their feelings. I know they always helped Stephanie playing with her because when the bad stuff was happening to Paul she was too little to know how to express herself and that is how they helped her relax and feel happy. Well our prayers are still on for the whole family and doctors and staff. May God bless you all and give you all rest and peace, it is hard to have that in a hospital.
Lots of love,
Ivette

Anonymous said...

We all love you and continue to pray for Kyara to heal completely. We hope you guys have a great day celebrating Dad's birthday.

Mrs. Laurie and Mrs. Carlisle

Anonymous said...

I found your site through a friend's facebook page asking for prayers for your family and daughter(your sister's neighbor, Steve). Even though I don't know you, please know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of many, many people. Stay strong and keep believing!

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars,
Thank you both for keeping us updated on Kyara. Everyone back home is praying for you guys, and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know. Troy thinks of Kyara often, and has asked God to make her better every night. I'm glad that you all have such great support and care up there, and your story and stength are a testimony to the rest of us. Take care, stay strong, and know that our loving God is with you every step of the way.
Love, Amanda Blackwood and Family

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
I'm glad that Kyara got some sleep last night... it's important for her recovery. I hope that Kyara improves a bit every day from here on... and Dad - Happy Birthday!! We are thinking of you.

Tina, Carlos & Nico

Anonymous said...

Genie & Gunars,
I came across this verse this morning on effective prayer, and wanted to share it with you. "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8. We are continuing to ask God to heal Kyara and will continue to do so. As always, we love you guys and miss you so very much...

Gun, we also want to wish you a happy 34th. Wish we were together with you on your day!

Ansley says, "I want to draw a picture of Uncle Gunars for his birthday. I wish he could be here to chase me around..."

Anonymous said...

It must be so difficult to try and carry on a normal, everyday kind of lifestyle with so much going on from all possible directions. But sometimes, you just have to let go and do things like go bowling and sleep! Kyara is a strong child, she will pull through. We continue to hold her close to our heart and in our prayers. May today bring you positive news your way!

Laura said...

I am glad Kyara got some much needed rest. I hope her continued rehab continues to help her and that she can make lots of progress. May God continue to bless that sweet girl!