Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Friday, February 27, 2009

Gunars and Skylar are Coming!

Today has been long. As I wrote before, Kyara's dilation was successful. But now, new issue...she has bile coming out her nose and mouth. I ran back to the Ronald McDonald House for a shower (I stunk!), and when mom and I swapped back, she left Kyara with Maria, the speech therapist. Kyara had Pt/Ot right after speech, so we knew she would be busy for a few minutes and figured this was the best time to switch. When I got there, Donna and Maria had Kyara on the floor with bile all over her. She was trying to cough and sneeze and it was SHOOTING out everywhere. I think it freaked Donna and Maria out a bit. We got the suction machine, rolled Kyara on her side (so that she would not aspirate the bile) and I suctioned her mouth and nose until she quit spewing. Dan came in and jumped right in there. They paged the surgery doctors and they came running. Everything turned out ok, but it was an intense few minutes there. For some crazy reason, they decided not to do PT after all the excitement :)

So therapy was a wash. And now we have the weekend without therapy. I hope we are not getting behind, but there are medical issues that have to be solved first.

Later tonight, Kyara started oozing bile again. Not nearly as much as before, but it was still there. We had her on her stomach to try to comfort her in a new postition, and I am thinking it did not go over as well as we had hoped. Since having the gastric pull-up, I have to remember she is gravity dependent and anything that turns her head and torso down will allow stomach contents to come into her throat. I take the blame for this one, but not for the one earlier in the day. The doctors think that one was caused by trying to start her feeds too early and at too high of a rate. I think they are right. We will just have to keep an eye on her and see how it goes over the night.

And... Gunars and Skylar are coming in town in 2 hours!!! I can't wait!! I have missed them so much! I just want to hug them both so tight. We are going to have a great weekend together!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news. God is good! Enjoy your family and love them all! Hang in there guys!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weekend! Kyara will get the rest she needs and will be ready to resume therapy Monday.

We love you guys,
Laurie and Josette

Anonymous said...

What an eventful day!!!! Poor girl, she's been put through the ringer. Hopefully a couple of good days of rest will have her ready to make more of those baby steps on Monday. So glad to hear Gunars and Skylar will be with you soon. Have a great weekend!
The Henley's