Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gunars and Skylar Are Home...

I took Gunars and Skylar to the airport today for their flight, and they made it back without any problems. I already miss them so much! Life will be different with them not here. Since Luz Estela left yesterday, and Gunars and Skylar left today, it is just Bunny, Kassey, and me here in Michigan. We will be back to "passing the baton" (the room key) and quick swaps. Skylar will go back to school tomorrow. She is looking forward to seeing her friends, but didn't really want to leave, either. She is a tough girl though. At the airport, she gave me a hug and kiss (I could hear her crying, but she didn't want me to see), then turned around, grabbed her bag and walked away with Gunars. She didn't even look back. Tough. I would have been a babbling mess. I am looking forward to Gunars and Skylar coming back for the weekend.

Kyara is still recovering from the surgery today. Her tummy still looks very distended, so I have been bugging the doctors about it. They finally agreed to do an x-ray this afternoon. Everything looks as they would expect it to look. She still has air in her tummy, but that is do to the surgery yesterday. Her colon and small intestines look fine. The air is significanly less than it was before the surgery. Her tummy is also soft to the touch, so that is all good things. She has had periods during the day that she was quite uncomfortable, I hope this decreases. She is trying her best to sleep, but has not been able to do much of it.

The problem Kyara had could have become life-threatening if they had not done the surgery yesterday. I am so glad they caught it in time. I am also concerned, though, about what this does to her rehab schedule. I hope she will recover quickly so that we can get back on rehab's service and continue her therapy sessions soon. For right now, she will have to have bedside therapy. This stinks. I still want what's best for Kyara and for her recovery, and I will push and bug doctors until I am satisfied with the care she is receiving.

Thank you for all of the prayers. I think this surgery will be a good thing in the long run. God knows the course and has a plan and we have to let him do his thing. Trust...sometimes it is a very hard thing to have. But I know God knows best. Perhaps her stomach hurting was an underlying cause to her storming. Now that it is fixed, Kyara can make better strides towards recovery. By the way... Kyara is not sweating and storming like she has in the past... good things can come out of scary situations!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Again, hang in there - as you said God has a plan. Hopefully this will help with Kyara sleeping. Don't worry about Skylar, we will take care of her! As for Gunars, he will not let us. We are praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Genie,
We keep you and the family in prayer and check this site regularly. Kyara's progress is amazing! We await your return to Atlanta and want to help with rehab. Find strength in knowing so many pray for Kyara's recovery. Take care of yourself. How fortunate that Peggy has retired.
Love,
Gail and George Sparrow

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Today my prayer is that God will provide Kyara's doctors with the wisdom necessary to, at all times, make the very best decisions for your precious Kyara. And I pray that whatever these decisions may be, that they will always consider your intuition. Sometimes the answers aren't always in medical books, but in a mother's heart.
Love,
Becky Tonn Gaston

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear Gunars and Skylar are safely back in Ga. Megan is excited to see Skylar at school tomorrow.
I pray Kyara will be able to rest, heal quickly and be back in therapy soon. I'm sure the blockage had alot to do with her not sleeping and possibly the storming too. She had to be very uncomfortable. Once she heals and recovers from the surgery she will be back to amazing us with her progress once again. I hope you, Kyara and Bunny will have a calm and restful week. Now that Kassey can walk/run I know you won't be able to hold her down for long at a time, but do try to rest in between sprints. :)
Let us know if Gunars needs anything during the week, we would love to help out.
The Henley's

Winkie-Dink said...

I am glad to hear that the surgery helped her. She may have been in pain and now that is fixed. We pray that is the case. when I was away from her, my mama used to tell me to look at the moon and that she would look at the moon--we were seeing the same moon! You and Skylar can do the same thing. Of ourse the same Jesus is in all of our hearts! Hug Peggy for me. We are praying for all of you and love you.
Wink

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Genie!

We just got to see Skylar's sweet smiling face! She looks incredible. We have missed her so much! She gave us all hugs and seemed very happy as everyone was welcoming her back when she walked up the hall. We know it is hard for you to let them go for the week. Please know we will take good care of her and Dad too. We are so grateful that you are sharing her with us!!! You guys are all so STRONG!

I (Josette) have been away for a week without access to the internet. Laurie and Marcia have kept me posted on Kyara through text messages. I sat down and read all the blog pages you posted while I was away and just cried. They were mostly tears of joy and gratitude for what God has done. I know He has great plans for your whole sweet family. I know you are having to endure some really scary times, but it is evident that you find comfort in knowing God has her in his sweet hands.

We continue to pray for Kyara's rapid and complete recovery and for God's comforting grace for all of you. Please give Kyara a kiss from us and tell her that Mrs. Laurie and Mrs. Carlisle said Hi!

We love and miss you guys SO much!
Laurie and Josette

Anonymous said...

Genie, I am always amazed at your strength and courage through all of this. God is so good to supply you with that. You are such an example for the rest of us for how to trust God in all situations. We look forward to seeing Skylar and Gunars soon and will be praying for Kyara's healing as always.
The Lopers

Anonymous said...

I agree God has a plan:) Don't worry about little Skylar such a big sister; I just talk to her at lunch and she is all smiles especially when I mention Kyara's name. She loves her little sister. I am praying for you guys and hope all will be home soon.
Love to all, Misty Evans

Bryan and Sarah said...

Genie,
I heard about your site through a prayer request a friend sent out. I have been checking on Kyara everyday that I can. She is making wonderful progress. My husband had a brain injury when he was 19. He was only given a 10% chance to live, and now he is a teacher and a coach. I have been praying for Kyara and your whole family.
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Sarah
www.bsansarahsan@blogspot.com