Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Monday, February 16, 2009

Long Night, Long Day

Kyara did not sleep a wink last night. I mean literally not one minute! Her heart rate was elevated, she had alot of tone in her muscles, and she was breathing like a steam engine. Today has not been much better in terms of the "storming." She can't seem to get comfortable to sleep, and the breathing is crazy. Gunars and I talked with the doctors about her medications and our concerns about her not sleeping. They are working on it. I am getting FRUSTRATED!

Kyara TRACKED!! In speech today, Maria, the speech therapist asked Kyara to look at a picture to her left and she did, then she followed the picture as Maria moved it back to midline (in front of her)!`She also looked and found objects when asked in PT/OT. These are huge things, she is not consistently doing them, but they are great first steps. I really think that once she is able to get some sleep, Kyara is going to make more strides in therapy.

Today Kyara had a little scare with respiratory. A scare doesn't really describe it. She is fine, but she has started to receive breathing treatments (albuterol). Well, I guess the first treatment must have loosened up a whole bunch of stuff, because she started drooling brown secretions that smelled like tube feed. She was done in speech with Bunny and Maria (again) and our nurse came down to give her a med, when our nurse saw Kyara she ended the speech session and took Kyara back up stairs. They were still suctioning tons out when I got on the scene. "Better out than in", right?

Gunars was supposed to go home last night, but sometimes flying stand-by throws you for a loop. He was not able to get on any of the flights and all of the flight this morning and afternoon were overbooked, so Gunars had to work from the RMH today. He is back at the airport now, and I know he didn't get on the 5:20 flight. I hope the next one is a better shot!!!

Kyara is calmer right now than I have seen her in 3 days. I pray she sleeps all night. I would love to see how she reacts with a good 12-14 hours of sleep in her! It is getting rough staying up with her all night, even with taking turns, and I find it demoralizing. I am not sure that is the right word. What I am trying to say is that by the morning, not being able to comfort Kyara during the night, I get very frustrated and almost angry. I know it is not her fault that she is not sleeping and it is not fair to be angry, I just want her to sleep so bad!! I feel completely helpless. It is NOT a good feeling.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Hang in there. I know Kyara is exhausted, but I cannot imagine how exhausted you are! We will pray for a very restful night for you all. What wonderful news that she is beginning to track - way to go Kyara!
The Brandons

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
We will pray very hard for a peaceful night for all of you!
Love, Mandy

Winkie-Dink said...

Genie,
We did not know about all of this. We will pray without ceasing. Please give Peggy a hug for me. We will be in touch. Much love and prayers for a peaceful night.
Winkie Greenhaw

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read that Kyara was able to track! What an answer to prayers! I will focus my energy tonight on praying that you and Kyara will be able to rest.

Joshua said, "I want to tell Kyara that I miss her and I love her."

Ahhh....young love!

The Sibley Family

Cheryl said...

Genie, I pray
Father God please please allow this little angel of yours to sleep Lord, You know what this baby has been through please grant her the rest and peace she needs to heal and recover Father. Please also wrap your comforting arms around Genie and calm and soothe her let her mind and spirit know that you know how hard she is working to help her baby get well. And remove her guilt feelings. God you know that none of this is Genie's fault please let her know it too.

Rest Angels rest God Bless you

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Thank God for small blessings! I am happy to hear each little new step Kyara takes. The blog is great for you especially as well as for those of us who check in daily!
Kyara is SO BLESSED to be surrounded by such STRONG and LOVING famliy and friends. Kyara, Genie & Gunnars, Peggy & Mike, Skylar & Kassie, ... you are each so strong to be going through all of this. Each of you are a blessing to others by sharing your struggles and journey through this. Keep staying strong. God is blessing so many people right now and I think He will carry each of you through this (in HIS own way).
Love always,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Wow Genie... this post is both EXCITING and frustrating... I can imagine that you're as tired as can possibly be... but I think it's amazing that Kyara tracked! WOW!

The sleep issue to be frustrating, demoralizing... everything, you name it... it is hard. Is it possible at all that the Albuterol is also aggravating the situation. Carlos has taken it, and he says that when he does, he can barely breathe (funny - since it's designed to help)... but he says his heart starts beating really hard and he starts feeling agitated. I'm sure your doctors have all looked into this.

I'm just so happy that she is tracking... really... fantastic news! Keep it up Genie... this is a very VERY difficult time... but every day brings with it a new gift... let's hope that they are all good ones from here on out.

Lots of love.
Tina, Carlos & Nico

Anonymous said...

Genie,
I know how exhausted Kyara and yourself must be. I pray you both get much needed rest. Awesome news with beginning to track as we all know our Kyara does things her own way and in her own time:)We all are praying for you all.Please give kisses and tell her that I miss her.

Misty Evans

Anonymous said...

So glad Kyara tracked! Progress, progress! I hope you all will get some sleep. Continuing to pray...
Clara and family

Anonymous said...

Genie,
I'm so sorry that I haven't written in a bit, but know that all of you have been in our thoughts, hearts, and prayers each and every day. I'm being honest when I tell you that I had a dream about you and Kyara the other night...a really happy dream! I vividly remember you sitting at Kyara's bedside and resting your head on her hand and then suddenly hearing her soft, sweet little voice say, "Mommy, you're hurting my hand." What glorious words! And I believe that we will hear her soft, sweet little voice again! You and Gunars have shown way more strength and faith than I think I could be capable of in your situation and I'm so proud of and inspired by you both. Take from the love, strength, and faith that surround you and let it carry you when you need it to. We love you guys and know that God is working on a special miracle for your little Kyara!
Kevin, Lisa, and Adelyn