Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bumpy Bath Day

First off, Kyara slept like a baby most of the night last night. I wish the same was true for me. I was terrified that she would wake and I would not know it, so I spent most of the night up watching her. I finally fell asleep around 4:30am and my mom (bless her heart) came in at 6:30 am to be with me and Kyara. Kyara didn't pay us any attention, she slept GREAT!!

In the activity room today, Child Life had a beach party for the patients and their families. Kinda funny...we are having a "heat" wave here in Michigan. These silly northerns think 40 degrees is a HEATWAVE!! It was fitting to have a beach party during a midwinter heatwave! Child Life had arts and crafts, games and prizes for everyone. Skylar had a great time. We took Kyara, too, in her wheelchair. We thought a change in scenery would be good for her. I found the party to be sad, though. I wish Kyara could have enjoyed it more.

When we got back from the party, Sam (our awesome nurse from Kyara's last hospitalization) started her shift and got Kyara back as one of her patients. Yippee! We like Sam. Anyway, we got started with the bath. I think Kyara enjoyed it, she didn't growl, so that is a good sign! The tub has a mesh chair that Kyara was able to sit in and I gave her a good scrubbing. Once back to the room, I realized I had still missed some in the folds of her neck. My Goodness! Bunny (my Mom) got a baby wipe and fixed that right up.

Bunny has been a busy lady sewing and cooking soup. Who knew my mom was so domestic? She has cut the left sleeve of some of Kyara's short sleeve shirts and added snaps so that Kyara can wear clothes to therapy. They have worked great! Luz Estela and Eriks (Gunars' parents) have been very helpful with Skylar and Kassey as well as doing the chores and laundry at the Ronald McDonald House. What a blessing it is to have so much help!

Tonight Gunars and I took Skylar to a UofM Hockey game. Quite exciting! I had a nagging feeling the whole time, though, that something was not right at the hospital. I could not get my mind off Kyara. Well, on the way back, I called to check up and let Bunny know we were on our way. Bunny informed me that the doctor was paged to come see about Kyara... her blood pressure was 180/100 and she was breathing extremely fast. Scary! I dropped Gunars off and when Bunny came down she said she thought I should go back up, too. When I came in, Kyara's eyes were moving all around the room like she was scared but LOOKING. She was extremely agitated and the doctor was talking about giving her MORE medications. I kneeled down in Kyara's face and told her where she was, who was with her and for her to take a big breath. She did! But that didn't last or help much. So I asked if it was ok for me to hold her. I scooped her up, and climbed on the bed with her in my lap. Within 1-2 minutes Kyara was calmed down. Her blood pressure was now 103/53, pulse had dropped and she went to sleep. Wow! That was scary! Gunars helped me get comfortable and I held her for another 15 minutes then I scooted out and put her in bed. I think she was more alert tonight and it scared the stew out of her. I really think she was looking at Gunars and me. Maybe I am getting too hopeful, maybe I am reading into it, but she looked scared. That would explain the rise and sudden fall in blood pressure, heart rate and breathing rate. It makes sense to us. The doctor poo-pooed on my thought, but who cares. He doesn't really know Kyara. On the way up the elevator, I was praying that God would comfort Kyara and take care of her, and He has.

So, it is 11:51 pm, Kyara is snoozing and Gunars is going to stay with her tonight. I am going to run back to the RMH and do some of my own snoozing. Kyara is in good hands.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, she was looking! You know her best! I'm holding onto that! Our God is an Awesome God! Now get some sleep! Sara O'Dell

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars,
I'm so happy to hear such good news. I'll pray for some more tomorrow. Audrey

Michelle said...

You as a parent "know" those little things about your child. I hope the Dr. didn't poo poo your thoughts so you don't think it anymore! I am so glad to hear that there is a little progress. It will take time. I wish it could go faster, but God knows the timeline to make Kyara the best she can be. Hang in there, we are still praying daily. Enjoy your heatwave! Hugs to all, Michelle and family.

Eileen Mae said...

Dear Gunars & Genie,
I have been trying to keep up with your blog and Kayara's progress. I have been parying and praying hard for her complete recovery. I am glad that you have faith in our awesome God. I have much faith in our awesome God and I pray and keep praying that Kayara continues to make progress and God, the almighty physician, heals her. I have asked MANY people to join her prayer group on FB. I know I cannot make any monetary donations but I can pray and I know that God hears and answers those prayers. I believe that so much healing and so many miracles can happen when people intercede for someone. Please keep posting. We look forward to that final post when we can read about her miracle and complete recovery.
Praying with you, Eileen Mae

Anonymous said...

You're right, Genie, a mother knows! We continue to pray for Kyara and your family. Say hello to Bunny - she is definitely an awesome mother, just like her daughter.

Ken & Loni

Anonymous said...

I agree...poopoo on the doctors. A clear sign she is on the way back! Keep working hard and nice to hear you are remembering to take care of yourself! We continue to pray daily for strength and patience. God Bless you all!

The Vaughn's

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear that Kyara responded to you. We know YOU are right. You know your child and when she makes a connection with you, you feel that from deep inside. We wait patiently with you for more signs of God's miraculous handywork. Please give the girls a hug and tell them to beware of incoming Valentines this week!

We love you guys!
Laurie and Josette

Michelle said...

Genie,

Poo-poo on the doctors! I know Kyara was waking up, and she was calmed when you held her... an answer to our prayers!

It's good to know you have a chance to do some fun stuff, like hockey games. You are so blessed to have the grandparents there to support you.

We're also glad to hear of your recent heatwave (I won't tell you what it was like here yesterday. Ok, I will. It was 70 and beautiful!)

Love,
Michelle

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only mom paranoid about getting my kids' necks clean ;o)

Anonymous said...

Wow! that must have been so scary! But the fact that she calmed down at the sound of your voice has to be a sign that she is aware of the people around her and no matter what, she feels safe with her mommy and daddy... Incredible! Keep the faith guys... She knows you're fighting for her...
Love,
Tina, Carlos & Nico

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cool that she is responding to you and right on about what you know... You certainly know her best! Also, the kids and I always check up on you and pray for you every day, but I was out of town this weekend and when I got back, I mentioned that I needed to check up on Kyara. Kristen informed me that she had been checking up on Kyara all on her own and she got me all caught up. You are all in our thoughts and prayers every day!! God will get you through this!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last one was from the Lopers

Anonymous said...

I live in Newnan. I received an e-mail from someone at Cornerstone church to pray for Kyara. I have read your carepages and I am praying fervently for her and all of you. What you said about her episode last night and what you think it was all about makes sense to me - BELIEVE! I wish you all the best. I also read your entry about rehab in the Atlanta area - Children's Healthcare of Atlanta would probably be the best suited to help Kyara. My neice goes to OT and speech/swallowing therapy at Interactiv Children's Therapy Services in Newnan across from Cornerstone - they think it is great, but there isn't a PT there right now. There are a few other places in the area but I don't know anything about them. I do hope that you will be home soon and able to work on things locally. Good luck and God bless you throughout all of this. God bless Kyara!

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars, I have been following your blog. Know that many people are praying for your family and know that
God will give you the necessary strength to be the support Kyara needs.
Joy Lamb
Tell Bunny hello for me and give her a big hug. Lots of love your way Peggy!!

Anonymous said...

I found your story on face book. I am keeping kyara in my prayers. I sat in my living room tonight and read your entire story, and while reading I cried my eyes out. God bless you and your family. I hope your little kyara pulls through. It made me realize how lucky I am. I can not even begin to imagine what you and your familky are going through. But I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Genie,
I so believe Kyara is waking up!!!! Shame on the Dr. for not encouraging your positive feelings. Please remember, they only know Kyara's 'test' results, and their own limitations. We know God has NO limitations and you know Kyara from her soul out. It is NO coincidence that she relaxed in your arms, she knew you and felt the protection of your love. Keep the faith, the best is yet to come. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
The Henley's

Gayle said...

Dear Genie, You know Kyara better than the doctors know her, so I am glad you are trusting your own instincts. My mother is recovering from a mastectomy, and you would not believe the silly things some doctors do and say! Doctors are great, but not omniscient! We continue to pray for and believe in Kyara's healing, and for all your dear family in every way. Love Bunny for me.
Love,
Gayle

Anonymous said...

we love you. Thank you for your time and efforts doing the blog it is a big help.