Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rectal Tube, Anyone?

Kinda gross, I know, but seems to have helped. Kyara had a good amount of gas trapped in her colon causing her to be distended, so the doctors decided to try to evacuate it with a rectal tube. It was actually quite a production. The doctors got dressed-up in gowns and laid blue pads all over the bed. They cautioned us not to be in direct line of Kyara's hiney because many times this is a...messy procedure. So, in they went, and it was a...deflating experience. It was not messy really, she has not "eaten" in several days. We did get to hear what sounded like a balloon deflating, so at least some of the air was released. They will keep the tube in place for 24-48 hrs to keep her colon deflated.

This must have worked to give Kyara some comfort because she slept great for about 2 hours after placement! She had also slept for about 2 hours before, though, so maybe it was the fact that the infection is getting under control and she is more restful. I had to be a guard dog at her door today because I didn't want anyone coming in and disturbing her while she was sleeping. I refused to let a new PM&R doctor in to evaluate her, which did not make the doctor happy. I told her that I would be happy to talk to her about Kyara, she could come back when Kyara was awake, but she COULD NOT go in and disturb her with an exam. She decided to write in Kyara's medical records that I was going against medical advise. I felt like I was sent to the principal's office or something. Getting written up by the teacher! Well, I was doing what I felt was best for Kyara, so I can live with that. I also sent away the dentist people (Kyara has a tooth that is turning a little gray from where she chomped down on the breathing tube when she was intubated) and the janitor who was trying to clean the other side of the room. Well, when Kyara doesn't sleep for 2-3 days and she is finally sleeping, she needs every minute she can get!

I think God has been listening to the prayers for a quick recovery from the infection. Her white blood cell count is down to 16,000 as of this morning. That is half what it was yesterday! Yeah! Her heart rate has been in the 130s when she is awake and agitated, much better than the 180s-190s. When she's sleeping, her heartrate dropped to the 90s! Her breathing rate has also decreased to the 20s-30s. She seems to be leveling out, so that is fantastic. Please keep the prayers coming. God does amazing things.

Speaking of which, I see the amazing miracles God does on a daily basis. Since we have been here, I have seen babies who are knocking on death's door and by God's hand they are given new life and turn the corner. I met a family whose son had a major spinal cord injury and he is doing remarkably well. Sitting up, able to use a manual chair, etc. God can heal Kyara. I don't know His plan for her, but I have faith that He will do what is best for her and for us. I have a hard time handing this one off to Him, though. I am trying hard to look toward the future, but not know what the future entails is very difficult. I just know that only He has the ability to turn things around. We will get to Atlanta when He determines it is best for us to go. And Kyara will make improvements when He feels the timing is right. I still praying for strength and for Kyara's full recovery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you didn't get to come home, but thankful that God sent out those red flags to warn you. You are right God does still do miracles and he is still working on Kyara. We are praying for a speedy recovery from the infection and a safe and perfectly timed trip back to Ga.
Good for you for allowing Kyara to sleep. They can check on her when it best fits her schedule. She has enough to deal with, she doesn't need them disturbing her when she is finally comfortable and sleeping.
Please give her a hug and tell her we love and miss her.Take care of yourself and have a wonderful Easter. I know it won't be the one you had planned, but do try to make the most of it. I'm sure Kassey will bring many smiles to your face. She is such a cutie!!!
Prayers to you all,
The Henley's

ireina said...

Bravo, Genie. My hat comes off to you, these doctors sometimes forget they are dealing with children and not test subjects. I am so glad you stood up to them. I remember with Paul we had to stand up too because they believed it was necessary to weigh a sleeping baby at 5am in the morning for the doctor rounds at 9 Sometimes I think all their common sense goes to their bottoms when it comes to dealing with live people. All I can say is I would send Pablo off on them and we were very well respected in Egleston. Pablo is very well known but those nurses that is for sure! Our prayers are still coming. Lots of love to all of you.
Ivette

Laura said...

My prayers are with yours as well. I am glad to hear that Kyara's infection is getting better. You are amazing, seriously, I find strength in you! GOD BLESS KYARA!