Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Are You Looking At ME???











I uploaded some pictures. Some are from the transfer to Atlanta on April 13th (sorry, they are a little late) and there is one of Skylar and Kyara outside this afternoon.

I really think that Kyara is starting to see us better. This afternoon, we were outside by a koi pond. I bent down to Kyara's right side (which she has a preference to her left and alot of times her eyes will roll up) and said, "Kyara, look at Mommy." She looked directly AT me!!! Down and to the right. She looked directly at my face and held it there for a number of seconds. Last night she also gave the respiratory therapist a hard time when he was trying to give her the flovent inhaler medication. They have the inhaler attached to a tube and mask that fits over her mouth and nose. When he put the mask on her face she started to shake her head side to side like she was saying "NO."

For those of you that know Kyara, you know that she had a mind of her own. She was known to play "possom" with doctors and therapists. Lately, it seems that she is doing that again. She will "sleep" sometimes in therapy and amazing enough, as soon as I put her back in her wheelchair to leave, her eyes pop open and she is awake. Kyara...you silly girl, the therapist are there to help you! Please don't play games now! Another thing she did this afternoon in therapy - When the therapist asked her to squeeze her finger, Kyara OPENED her hand. Now that could be interpreted in several different ways. 1- It was a coincidence that her hand moved at all. 2- She was trying to squeeze, but hasn't figured out how to make her hand do what she wants. 3- She didn't WANT to squeeze the therapists finger and so she opened her hand instead. Had this happened 3 months ago, I would say without a doubt that it was option number 3. Especially since the therapist on the weekend is not the same therapist she has been working with all week. Also, last night, Gunars said Kyara made a face that was "SO KYARA." He was explaining to my dad about the arm splint and when to put it on, and Kyara made a face that showed that she was not happy with the arm splint. From what Gunars told me, it was a face that Kyara has made many times before her injury. To us, this would mean that she heard Gunars talking to my dad, she understood what he was talking about, and she did not like it. I like to believe that she has the cognitive ability to have understood everything. I pray this is the case.

I am still having a hard time coping with Kyara's injury. I am learning each day to be thankful and celebrate the little things she does. When I think about how she was before the arrest, my heart breaks. That Kyara is not my reality anymore. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that God is taking each step with us. I believe He is showing Himself each day in Kyara's recovery. Somedays we just have to look extra close. Please continue to pray for Kyara's recovery. I know He is listening.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the midst of all this, Kyara's spunk is showing through! Hold onto that as you continue this ride. God is right there with you and will continue to guide you on this journey. We continue to pray for you guys constantly!!
The Brandons

Anonymous said...

You bet he is listening. Remember that even with one step back after a few forward, she will reach the finish line you are all reaching for. Slow and steady wins the race! God Bless,

The Vaughn's

Anonymous said...

We definitely are still praying and believing! We know it will take time, but Kyara will be back!
God has this entire situation under control and He whispers in Kyara's ear all the time. Many like to leave God out of the picture and call it a "coincidence", but the Holy Spirit speaks to us all the time if we will listen. He gives comfort and a calm assurance that everything will work out for the good. We love you guys! Spokane

Mrs. Carlisle said...

We agree! God is listening. We as believers know there are no coincidences when we are seeking God's work. God is in control and He gives us those moments as reassurance that He is working in her life as He has promised.

I still find comfort in the scripture I shared with you before. Jeremiah 29:11 : "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." God does not promise that we will be spared pain and hardships but that He will see us through to a glorious conclusion. We all have hope because His plans are all for good and are full of hope! I hope that scripture gives you the same support that it gives me today.

We love you guys!
Laurie and Josette

Anonymous said...

I pray for her everyday. I am so glad to hear you excited again. There is nothing like a mothers love for a child. she can sense your happiness, i am sure!
God bless and I am excited for all of you!!!!
Lori Gray

Winkie-Dink said...

That "fire-cracker" spirit is in there!!!! The picture of the girls is just plain beautiful!!! Our HOPE word today is "umbrella"--(I bet you thought it was gonna be understanding!!) Your entire family is under God's umbrella of grace, compassion and love. He is with you every step of the journey. You are so special to us. We love all of you, Wink

Anonymous said...

Genie-
That definitely sounds like the old Kyara with her feisty spirit! God answers us in his time, not in ours which is often so hard! I am praying for you and your family. We are in Charleston this weekend and were feeding a bunch of turtles and it reminded me of rehab and I that I hope one day very soon Kyara gets to see the turtles and it brings a smile to her face! Stay strong and positive!!!! God is listening!

All my love, Stephanie, RN

Anonymous said...

Gunars & Genie,

We pray for you & Kyara every day and see that God is listening with every little step forward.

Ron & Katie Zink

Anonymous said...

Praying that the trial goes well today!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today... It is great that Kyara's spunk is beginning to show again. We'll keep watching for more signs of that and hope that she shows it at appropriate times ;)

The Lopers

Alicia A said...

I remember when AJ first started tracking, the docs thought we were nuts. those parents in denial. Look who's laughing now, right? You know Kyara better than anyone, and you know what you're seeing. :)

-Ali

Jessica Twigg said...

Oh Genie, I miss you and Bunny and Cassie so very much, but with tears in my eyes I am telling you that I am so glad she is doing better at home. She sounds like she is pulling some fast ones on her therapists. What a pistol!!! God is good!!!! And I have no idea what you are going through, but I can tell you that I have days where I remember my life before Ethin and how I first expected to bring a healthy baby home. I too am adjusting and am also thankful for every little thing. God is Awesome and he is going to take care of you! Love Ya, Jessica