Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Infection

Well, Kyara has an infection that caused her heart rate and breathing rate to go crazy, so the doctors said it wasn't safe to travel this morning. I am ok with it. I am very disappointed, but my main concern is for Kyara right now. I hate that my family is not closer together, but again, if its not safe for Kyara to travel, then we will wait.

The doctors believe the infection is in her central line. They are treating her with antibiotics and have cultured EVERYTHING, so we are waiting to see what grows. The doctors took xrays this morning of both her chest and abdomen, and her lungs look good (so no pneumonia) and her abdomen didn't show any more pneumatosis than was already present. She has been doing a ton of belly breathing, though, and her poor belly is very distended. They believe that could be from 2 things....first she is gulping lots of air when she breathes, and secondly her gut slows down due to the infection. She has not pooped or peed as much today as usual, so that could be why her tummy is distended.

During the day today, she had a couple of short 30 minute-1 hour naps. While she slept, her heart rate would drop to 120s. This is still considered tachycardic (or a fast heartbeat) but it is much better than the 207 heartrate she had this morning. Tonight when she was awake her heart rate was in the 150s. I hope this is a sign that she is improving. Today her muscle tone made her as stiff as a board. I had a very hard time sitting her up, which I have been doing alot of lately. I pray this will decrease with the infection getting under control.

So plans going forward is for the infection to get under control with antibiotics. For her heart rate and breathing rate to decrease and stay stable, and for her muscle tone to decrease. We are looking at early next week to try again to transport her. Depending on her presentation on Friday of this week, I am going to press to get the transport set up for Monday, and if we have to cancel it, then so be it. I don't want to wait til Monday and her to be fine and then they start arranging the transport. That would put us back at least a couple of more days!

All in God's time. I pray for the strength to stay positive and hopeful while waiting for God's plan to take place. I pray for a quick recovery from the infection so that Kyara can continue to make positive strides.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you say, "In His time". We pray continued healing over Kyara and strength for you to endure this period of continued waiting. We serve an AWESOME God and He knows our every need. Heavenly Father, draw even nearer to precious Kyara and her dear family, give comfort and we thank you Lord Jesus for ALL things. We lift it all up to You and may Your timing be perfect as always.

Anonymous said...

Just read the update. I'm praying more than ever for yours and Kyara's strength, as well as a very quick recovery from this infection. I'm certain coming home can't come fast enough. Hang in there!
- Sara O'Dell

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping you and Kyara in my prayers. I'm saying a special prayer that Monday will be the day.

Anonymous said...

Aughhh!! I know you have said it many times, but sometimes it helps just to know others feel your frustration too!! Waiting is such a hard thing to do, but in God's perfect time you will be back here in Atlanta and Kyara will be growing and spreading those roots here at home. In the meantime, we will pray for a quick recovery from this infection.
Praying always!!
The Brandons

Winkie-Dink said...

Hey there Special Friends! My computer and I have been out of pocket!!! I have missed all of your messages and I did not know you were home. I did not come last night, but I wish I had to see ya'll! Sooooooooooooooooo glad that you are back on Georgia soil! We have continued to keep you in our prayers these last two weeks even though you did not hear from me. Our HOPE word today is "precious"--special prayers for you as a precious family are flying your way. I love you!