Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Monday, April 27, 2009

Baclofen Trial

So today Kyara had the baclofen trial. She was scheduled to go down to interventional radiology at 9:00am. Well, at 9:20 we were still in the room waiting for her turn. Welcome to hospital timing. I understand, though, it is more important to take care of kids who are not stable than to do a baclofen trial. So, we waited. No big deal. Once we were finally down, they informed me that I could wait back in her room. I was not allowed to stay with her. A little nerve racking, but ok.

I went back upstairs and I was met by my cousin, his wife and daughter, and my aunt. What a nice surprise, except they were there because Maggie needed testing on her hearing. Turns out she needs hearing aids. That stinks. We had a nice visit and Kyara returned before they left.

The therapist, Priscilla, who was helping with the trial had come in before Kyara's procedure to get a baseline on her stiffness. She could not even bend Kyara's knees. She came back once Kyara was back and said she would be testing Kyara at 1 hour, 2 hours, and 4 hours after the procedure. She said not to expect much at the 1 and 2 hour mark, but we should see results by the 4th hour.

At the 1 hour mark, Priscilla came back and started moving Kyara's legs and ankles around some. She said there was already some improvement. By the 2 hour mark, Kyara was obviously better. And by the 4 hour mark she was great. She was able to sit in her wheelchair with out "bucking"out of it. She did not moan, groan, arch, or cry all morning and most of the afternoon. She was obviously more comfortable. YEAH!!

THE BACLOFEN TRIAL WAS A SUCCESS!!

Now the question is...what next. The trial dose wears off after about 8 hours, so Kyara will be back to how she was yesterday. The rehab doctor is consulting with neurosurgery to have Kyara scheduled to have the baclofen pump placed. This will be a surgery, but a good one. It will give Kyara so much relief. I want them to do it YESTERDAY!!!

During PT today, Kyara gave me a small grin. She smiled! Oh, be still my heart! I was totally thrilled. I was talking to her about how she had a picnic in Skylar's bed before we went to Michigan. She had been eating shredded cheese and she was on the top bunk. there were so many stuffed animals, I didn't even see Kyara at first. While I was telling her about this, she smiled at me. It wasn't a huge Kyara smile that shows her dimples, but it was definitely a grin.

Thank you God for the wonderful steps today. There is so much for us to be thankful for. Kyara is also working on operating push switches to turn a computer on and off. She worked hard on this on Sunday. She used her foot to step on the switch to play music.

I am thrilled with the progress Kyara has made in the one week we have been on the rehab floor at Scottish Rite. Her belly is doing great, she is getting closer to full feeds and off the IV nutrition. She needs her feeds to be at 70ml/hr and she is at 50 ml/hr. She is going up by 5 ml/day, so we are getting there. She should be at full feeds in about 4 days.

I know I am rambling tonight, but I feel like a I have hope again. Just when things feel like they are at their toughest, God smiles on us and shows us new ways that Kyara is improving. She still has a LONG way to go, but as long as we continue to move forward, what more can we ask for?

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Praise God! So glad the trial worked and Kyara felt better! Still thinking about all of you and praying daily.
Adrienne Maples
WRES

Anonymous said...

What joy!!! I am so thrilled with the success of the trial and glad that we are working to making her more comfortable. This is great news!!! I am praying still for each of you! Beth

Anonymous said...

Praise God, Genie!! This is amazing news! I hope they can place the pump soon so you guys can keep moving forward! Love you, Missy

Michelle said...

Oh, I love the story about shredded cheese on the top bunk. And the piles of stuffed animals...sounds like it happened in my house! And Kyara loved it, too! She is working so hard to recover, and I know that simply being home back in Georgia is a benefit for her.

I love the joy in your voice and the hope you give us all, Genie! Thank you so much for taking time to update us, to paint these pictures in our minds.

We are thrilled that the baclofen trial was a success and will pray towards her surgery (Friday?) Sending prayers for continued progress in rehab.

Love to your family,

Steve, Michelle, and boys

NICK PARKS, RN said...

I thought this might be the answer for her. I just wished we could have gotten the test done up here and possibly gotten her some relief earlier. Either way, we know she responded well to it and maybe this will be the trick to helping her advance and heal. Keep your faith up and make sure you get all of your questions answered.

Keep working hard for Kyara and tell her I said hello.

Take care,
Nick

ireina said...

I am so glad everything is working out and Kyara is getting better. She has touched so many of our lives, I really feel she is like family to all of us. I tear up in everything I read you write and I know God is with all of you and slowly is healing Kyara. Our prayers are with all of you.
God bless.
Ivette

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Kyara has things to look forward to now!! She has things to do, things to try, things to learn-she's back to the job of being a kid again. Her world is expanding with the task of learning new ways to play. I'm sure she's happy to have new days ahead of her. Kids have important work to do-and she's back on the road to working and learning!
Susan K.

The Lanes said...

Praise God!!! What wonderful news...I got chills just reading it. I will continue to pray constantly for ALL of you! Lana

Anonymous said...

Genie: What wonderful news. We are so glad to learn of each new step Kyara takes, this should help her step a little bit faster. Know you all are in our prayers daily. Love to you all. Uncle Bill and Aunt Joanne

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! So happy for both you and Kyara. Glad that you are seeing positive steps forward. Thinking of you often and still praying for little Kyara daily.

Illinois

Anonymous said...

Celebrating with you!!!!!
Clara

Linda Sabala said...

It sounds as though our prayers are being answered...slowly...but we know God is listening! Kiss that precious little doll for us! Love and good thoughts...Linda, Zachy's Grandma

Linda Sabala said...

It sounds as though our prayers are being answered...slowly...but we know God is listening! Kiss that precious little doll for us! Love and good thoughts...Linda, Zachy's Grandma