Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Swallow Study

Kyara had another swallow study today to determine if there was still a leak in the suture line between her esophagus and stomach. The doctors were feeling pretty confident that the leak would have healed by today, unfortunately this was not the case. The leak is still there, so we are still waiting to be able to begin feeding by mouth. I don't know when they will check again, but I am very sad and disappointed by today's results. I was expecting better news and it came like a punch in the stomach to see the contrast leak out of her esophagus during the study. Kyara was a trooper through it. They had her laying on her back and drinking the contrast through a straw. I have never drank contrast, but I hear it is gross. Before going down, we decided to pretend the contrast was sweet tea. After her test, Kyara sat up and said "I tried to make it taste like sweet tea, but I couldn't." Oh, my heart just broke. She doesn't realize why she was drinking this nasty stuff, she is just doing her best to make it taste like sweet tea, and was upset that she was not able to make it taste that way.

I have lots of pictures to post, but I am having difficulties posting. The computer at the hospital is not recognizing my disk, so I can't access them. Once we have it straightened out, I will post some good pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey GEnie. Sorry to hear about the swallow study... I can only imagine how you feel. was there at least some improvement? Hang in there... at least everything is getting steadily better! Tina

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Stay strong! They say time will heal all things. So that just means she is not ready yet and she needs more time to heal. I am glad to hear that Kyara is getting back to her old self. The crazy story was funny. Keep writing the funny stories and I can't wait to see some new pictures. I miss seeing Kyara and her sweet face. Tell her to pretend next time that it is a milk shake. Give her a big hug and kiss from me.
Love to all,
Mrs. Laurie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear today did not go to well with the test as spected.
Must be very funny to see Kyara runing in the trycle in those hallwyas and Mr. Dan after her, love to hear these tricks the same with these other nurses, speech therapist.
Love

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of the news from the tests, but there is a reason for everything, and I can assure you, although it may be difficult to imagine now, this is all part of a master plan. Hang tough. Great story about the Crazy Lady and the tri-cycle. Good memories. Hang in and keep working hard!

Love yall,
The Vaughn's

Anonymous said...

... Genie... she looks GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Genie--it's Martha (Ben's mom) from karate. I heard your husband mention the page to the sensai earlier. Just wanted you to know you, Kyara, and the whole family, are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry yesterday's test didn't go well. I know you must be exhausted! Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help out here at home.
Our love to you all--
The Donnellys