Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Monday, December 8, 2008

New Bumps...

For the past day or two Kyara has been doing alot of dry heaving. It is terrible to watch. She is not able to bring anything up because she has the NG tube that is draining her stomach. She has also developed a bad case of thrush in her mouth and throat. They say that people with breathing tubes for extended periods of time will develop thrush. The doctors started medication for it yesterday, but said it will probably take 7-10 days to see any improvement. The thrush will not be gone for 2-3 weeks! The thrush is making it painful for her to swallow and I am afraid it will delay her eating.

Speaking of eating, we will do the swallow study on Wednesday, and if there is no leak, she will be cleared to start foods by mouth. We will start with liquids and work up to solids. This will probably be a long process, but we are looking forward to getting it started.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doing great Genie. Kyara is tough and she will pervail. Bless your heart for being with her through all this. Congratulations on the SEC Championship game.

Anonymous said...

Genie and Kyara (and family):
Stay strong!
1-"In every trouble, there is a blessing."
2-"Happiness is not the absence of conflict but the ability to cope with it."
3- "Out of suffering come the strongest souls. God's wounded often make His best soldiers."
And Kyara, my dear, you are one tough soldier!
In my thoughts often,
:)Stephanie

Michelle said...

Glad to hear that Kyara might get to start eating in a few days! I love reading your posts - they really bring you back to reality. You have been through so much, and can still stay focused on the "END". It takes a strong person to be able to handle it. I am sure there are days where you feel you can't do anymore, but somehow you manage to. I hope the thrush doesn't delay Kyara's eating. Tell her that milkshakes count as liquid! Hang in there,

Ms. Michelle

Anonymous said...

Gunars, Genie, Kyara, Skylar & Cassandra,

I'm not a religious man, but your words of wisdom, your courage through adversity, your faith in a successful outcome, your will to prevail have certainly enlightened the lives of everyone around you. I apologize for not having kept track of Kyara's progress through this ordeal until now. I will follow you all through the rest of this journey from this moment on. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Good news to hear that things are slowly getting better. Hang in there, you all are doing a great job. Keep up the good work! Much love and RESPECT!

The Vaughn's

Anonymous said...

Hello! I got this link through my church prayer line and it is a blessing to me to be able to read your thoughts and prayers and hear about Kyara - what a trooper!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - I can't imagine the ups and downs, but overall - how strong you all seem! When you apologized about sharing a room, I wanted to give you a hug. Of course that was hard!! How you feel is something you can only pray about - how you act is a different thing - and I would guess from reading this that you always try to act the right way. give yourself (and your feelings) a break and love yourself BIG!

Anonymous said...

It just hit me tonight how much of a blessing it must be to have little Kassey with you to spend precious moments with her during all of this. She is a true blessing that God sent to you in order to keep you grounded, I'm sure. Enjoy all of the moments you have with her and with Kyara as she gets stronger every day!