Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Monday, December 15, 2008

Graduation Day

Kyara graduated from physical therapy today. Mr. Dan arm wrestled her, and Kyara won, so she is free from PT. It was a bit more involved than that, she had to run, stand on one foot, walk up and down stairs, and prove she could handle daily activities. She passed with flying colors. Mr. Dan and Kyara also played soccer, Kyara won! She must have megged him 10 times! Somehow his legs kept opening right when the ball would get to them... hehehe.

We are still dealing with thrush issues. I think this is what is making Kyara gag and dry heave. She has nasty "curtains" of thick, sticky gunk that grow from the roof of her mouth to her tongue. We are now swabbing the area with nystatin and she is still on antifungal medication to try to fight the thrush. After we suction these curtain out of the back of her mouth, she does not gag anymore. She is on day 8 of the antifungal meds and the doctors said it will take 7-10 days to see improvement, so I expect it to be getting better, now.

Sandy, one of the PICU nurses that took care of Kyara, came to see her today. It was nice to see a familiar face! We were informed that Kyara will be able to have her picture and a paragraph about her posted on the "Wall of Courage" outside the PICU. This wall is for kids who have stayed in the PICU for 1 month or longer, those that have passed and those who have survived. This is the wall that had the quote I mentioned in a previous post, "We remember not the days, but the moments." I am very proud to have Kyara up on the wall, although I would have preferred to not have spent as much time in the PICU!! It is nice that the nurses what to honor those patients that they have gotten to know well because of the length of stay they have in the unit.

Wednesday is right around the corner and I am nervously awaiting the swallow study. I pray the leak will be healed and I hate that I have a feeling in my gut that says it will still be there. I think maybe it is a defensive mechanism at this point, pray for the best and expect the worst. That way I am not too disappointed if things are not fully healed. Last week I was sure the leak would be healed and Kyara and I had discussed what she would want to eat when it was over. Then we the leak was still there it was a disappointment for both of us. I don't want to make that mistake again, so I am being more cautious with what I say to Kyara and to myself. I hope and pray this leak will be healed and we will begin the next phase in Kyara's journey.

I know I have not posted pictures in the last few blogs, I will add them as soon as I can. I am sorry! It has been difficult to get all the parts together, have an open computer at the Ronald McDonald House, and have the time and energy to get it done. I wish the computer here at the hospital would let me post the pictures, but I understand they don't want people abusing the USB ports.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Every day, more good news. I love it. Good job beating Mr. Dan at soccer and arm wrestling. That's impressive! Sounds like you will be heading back to Ga. pretty soon. Yea!!!!!!! Keep up the good work and we love you.
The Henley's
P.S.
Megan would like you to bring some of that snow down here!haha

Unknown said...

HIGH FIVE KYARA! So proud of you and to hear all the awesome news. We pray for good news for tomorrow.
Love
The Cambas

Anonymous said...

Good news, that is wonderfull.!!!
One more day to go, my thoughts are with all of you every minute.
Please Genie let me know tomorrow as soon as the test result is done.
Big Kiss to Kyara for her graduation.
Love

Anonymous said...

Kyara,

We are so proud of you. I know we haven't written to you in a while, but we check on you every day. Today your friends wanted to make sure they got a chance to talk to you, so their messages are below:

Gavin: I love you!
Justin: I hope you feel better, and I miss you.
David: Hurry home!
Caden: I want you to come watch T.V. with me. I like to watch Timmy Turner. I want you to play with my toys with me.
Owen: I want you to play with me and run around with me and we can make some patterns on my doodle pro. And... I want you to play basketball with me and sing the number wall with me too.
Kyle: I want you to hurry home and come to my house and play with me. I want you to play baseball with me and go to the pool.
Sammie: I miss you and I want you to play with me at my house with my toys and hurry home.
Alexis: I miss you. I want you to come swim with me.
Gabe: I love you and I want to play with you at my home.
Audri: I want you to come to my house. I want you to play with me with my toys.
Joshua: I want you to come to my friend's swimming pool with me and I want you to play with me in home living at school and the next day I want you to play with me in blocks.
Austin: Come to my house and play with me.
Angelina: I hope you get well.
Dylan: I want you to come play with me at my house.
Andrew: I want you to come to my house and play with me and come to the big pool with me.
Creighton: I want you to play with me at my Grandaddy's and at my house and come watch me and my Daddy play golf and watch me and my Daddy dress up in our firefighter gear fast. I want you to come swim in my pool with me if my Daddy can clean out all the green and the bugs.
Antonio: I love you and I want you to come to my house and play.
Lanna: I want to get some soup for you.
Ryan: I want you to come to my pool with me. I want you to come to my house to play and watch T.V.

We continue to pray for your speedy recovery. We hate to hear that your mouth is so uncomfortable with the thrush problem. Hopefully that will go away very soon. We will continue to check on you every day. We are sending you big hugs! Please know that we love you and miss you very much!

Mrs. Carlisle and Mrs. Laurie

AnnMarieJ said...

Wow Kyara! You have come so far in just the last week! We're glad to hear you're getting better. We'll say our prayers for you tonight!

Angelina and Ann Marie

Anonymous said...

We will be praying HARD for you tonight Kyara!!! We love you! You look great!

Love,
Aunt Missy