Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kyara will be Kyara

Kyara is about the same today. In reality, Kyara is getting a little better everyday. Sometimes we have little setbacks that seem huge to me, but in the scale of things, things are looking better. It's just such a long process (much longer than we anticipated). When a potential delay occurs (such as thrush) it feels like a huge setback, but it's ok, it's just a matter of time I suppose. We also have a new "neighbor" in our room. This patient has violent seizures that shake the bed and scare Kyara. She is getting used to them, but it's just a reminder to me that we really don't have things too bad. Kyara's situation is much better than a lot of patients.

Today during Physical Therapy, Mr. Dan brought a tricycle for Kyara to ride. And did she ever! She was riding up and down the hospital corridors. Mr. Dan had to run at times to keep up with her. She was going all over the place! It was funny. Picture somebody sitting in a room looking at the hallway when a little girl in a red tricycle is speeding by, in and out of sight, and then a grown man with a lab coat running in and out. Kyara is still not at full strength and walks like a "weeble wooble" as Skylar pointed out.

Also, during Speech Therapy two ladies came to the room. They tried to get Kyara to talk but she would not say a word. She stared into space, a frown on her face, and would not say a word. They tried and tried with no success. Kyara can and has talked but I couldn't understand why she would not say a thing. As soon as they left the room Kyara said, "I did not want to talk because one of them looked crazy". WHAT?! I'll let you be the judge. She had a stern look, bushy eyebrows and bushy hair. Kind of like a female version of Albert Einstein with a serious expression. What would you do? Kyara later did say that she would talk to the other one, but "not the crazy one". Kyara is a riot... this is the Kyara we all love. Now I have to explain to the Speech Therapists tomorrow that Kyara will only talk to one of them. Hopefully no explanation will be needed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh! I am cracking up at 4:30am! I wouldn't talk to the crazy one either!! I am so thanksful to hear that the real Kyara is coming around. So Funny! My kids are going to love this update! Genie - You are a rock. Have a great day....hope to hear more stories of Drs. chasing Kyara soon!!!

Marcia Fields

Unknown said...

Oh I love it! Kyara keep making it known that you are the one in charge hun!
Sensei sends you a HIG FIVE!
Love,
The Cambas Family

Anonymous said...

I am proud to hear that the TRUE KYARA is back. I hope you guys have a great day.

Misty Evans

Anonymous said...

Great post, Genie! Your description of Kyara is right on. That's what makes her the special person that she is. She cracks me up.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Your comments made me think of my son sveral years ago, coming home w/ a PIC line on his trike-around a pool no less! He wanted to swim and we siad he couldn't sohe got out his trike and went 'round and 'round the pool as fast as he could. He began cutting the corners so short, the bike went on 2 wheels and my husband and I ended up "posted" on the corners-running between them-to keep him from falling in! Let go!!! She's got the power now-nice to her.
Susan Kennedy-Spe. Ed, Willis

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kyara! You are such a mess.:) I loved reading about how you are taking control of your world again. That is the best news yet. You have such a sweet spirit and are so full of life. Shine on sweet girl and show them what you're made of. All that spunk and determination is what has pulled you through and what will continue to see you through the rest of your journey. Take care sweetie, we miss you.
The Henley's

Anonymous said...

girl, you make me laugh! I can so picture the tricycle flying past the door and that cracked me up about the speech therapist...too funny! It's good to hear the old Kyara coming back to life :)

The Lopers

Kim Conn said...

Too funny...we were laughing so hard reading this!!! Keep them guessing Kyara...these blogs will probably pay for your college (at UF) someday:)))