Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

7 Weeks In...

I know, not a very creative title, but I am tired. Although Kyara slept GREAT last night (from 9:30pm-8:00am), I did not sleep much at all. I was too worried about today. Kyara had another procedure today. They had to put her under general anethesia to do an MRI and try to put in a new PICC line. She had to lay perfectly still for the MRI and since she is not able to do that, they had to sedate her. We don't have the official results from the MRI yet, but the PM&R docs said there was not any gross changes. It looked like they expected. There could be subtle changes (positive or negative) but we won't know until we hear the report tomorrow. On one hand, I am nervous about these results and I'm anxious to hear what the final report says, on the other hand, I know the results do not matter. All that matters is how Kyara behaves.

The PICC line was trouble today. After 2 hours, I expected Kyara to be in recovery. The MRI was to take 1 hour, and then there was travel time to another part of the hospital to get the PICC put in in interventional radiology. We guessed that would take another hour. So, at about the 2 hour mark, I asked how she was doing and the clerk on the floor called down. They said she was done and would be going to recovery in the next 15-20 minutes. Then it would be 30 minutes or so before I could see her. Well, that was not accurate. They had not started the PICC yet. Then, they could not get the PICC in. Because Kyara has had several PICC lines, her subclavian veins (veins close to your collar bone) was obstructed with scar tissue. They ended up putting a central line in her neck. I was concerned about blood flow back to her heart if her veins were obstructed, but the doctors said that her body has created smaller veins that bypass the obstructions, they just can't put a cathater in them. Gunars mentioned that its like what her brain is doing, building new pathways to bypass the injured parts. Isn't the body amazing? Isn't it amazing that God creates these new pathways?

Kyara is back in her room, and I pray she has a good night. I am exhausted, having not eaten most of the day or slept much last night. I am going to bed and praying for new pathways.

12 comments:

Kim Conn said...

We are all praying for new pathways for her as well!!! I will do my best to find out what I can for you here...call me if you need anything else...if nothing else, just to talk!!!

Sallie said...

We are here in Minnesota, continuing to pray for you and your beautiful daughter.

Winkie-Dink said...

I am asking god to give you some sleep and rest tonight. Ipray Kyara sleeps and rests as well and that tomorrow will bring things that give you comfort. I love you. Hug Peggy. wink

Anonymous said...

I am praying she will get that much needed rest! I am praying you will get it too, i pray for peace and comfort for you. She is a mircle everyday
God bless all of your family, prayers being lifted up all the way from Mississippi.
Lori Gray

Anonymous said...

Genie,
We cannot express to you how much we appreciate your taking the time and energy to keep us up to date on Kyara's recovery. This is an outlet for you, but a place I come everyday to soak up what is said and even what is not said, so I know exactly what Kyara's and your needs are. We are all so very blessed, and this is a time for those who are NOT YET in a tortureous place as yours, to reach out and give however possible. When you return home with Kyara, time will pass and many will fall away. His true servants will always be there. We expect great things to come and the blessings will be overwhelming, not only for your family, but to everyone that is willing to follow God's call.

Anonymous said...

Genie, we pray with you - for new pathways, for her rest, for her improvement... for all good things. We also pray for you, to get rest, to get some comfort through her, and for you to stay healthy and strong....
Love,
Tina, Carlos & Nico

Michelle said...

Sleep, sleep, sleep, and get a good breakfast in the morning! I cannot imagine how tiring this must be, but Kyara is a strong girl and she WILL get through this! You have an awesome family to support you... take advantage of them! We continue to pray for Kyara and that new pathways guide her back to recovery.

Yesterday Joseph asked me out of the blue, "Remember little Kassey? She likes to climb the stairs!" He was beaming from ear to ear! We pulled up the picture of her running from a couple weeks ago and he said she was pretty cute :) We all miss you guys and keep you in our daily thoughts and prayers!

We hope both you and Kyara get some much-needed rest!

Always in our prayers,

Michelle

Anonymous said...

You guys have such incredible insight. I love the description of the "pathways." That is exactly what is going on in Kyara's perfectly designed body. God will give her new pathways as she needs them.

As difficult as it is, please get some rest. You and your whole sweet family still amaze and inspire us.

We love you guys!
Laurie and Josette

Anonymous said...

Praying for pathways...

Lopers

Anonymous said...

I hope you slept last night and had a BIG breakfast this morning. I know it is difficult at times, but please take care of yourself. Kyara is amazing. I do believe that once she is more stable (physically) and they aren't having to sedate her so much, she will begin to shine through and make more noticable progress. She has been through alot since the oringinal injury (major surgery and many procedures requiring anethesia). She has had amazing moments of communicating and getting her point across, eye contact and following instructions--these are just small glimpses of what she is capable of. She will get there and we are all waiting and expecting good things. We love you all and will never give up on Kyara. You are all in our prayers.
I pray today will be a brighter day and you will get the comfort you so deserve. Give Kyara and yourself a hug from us.
The Henley's

Adrienne said...

Praying for you and for Kyara and new pathways! You are on our hearts and in our prayers. Thank you for the updates!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying that you and Kyara get much needed rest that you both need. Thank you so much for keeping us all updated on our little Kyara. Please give her a kiss and tell her that I love her. Will continue to pray.