Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 9...Out of Bed

Today has been one heck of a day. Kyara has been through so much! It all starts with an X-ray at 6:30 am, then rounds (when the doctors come in, discuss the plan for the day and poke at her some) at 7:30 am. Then, we had to get Kyara on a stretcher and downstairs to radiology for the swallow study at 9:00. With all of the tubes, wires, the ventilator, and monitor, it takes a while to get her ready!

I know, I know... what about the swallow study? What happened? Well, no leaks! That is great, but leaves me puzzled as to how her cardiac arrest happened. I suppose it is possible she could of HAD a leak and now it is healed. Either way, it doesn't matter anymore. The better news is that they were able to pass a feeding tube into her stomach! This will be a great help for a couple of reasons. Obviously, it will be beneficial for feeding (instead of using IV nutrition), but it will also act as a guide for future dilatations, so they will not have question as to whether they are in the stomach or not. I had some apprehension about the placement of the tube, but I was assured by the doctors and the radiologist that it is in the right place. I am a total "Nervous Nelly" now, but I think I have earned the right to be that way.

So, the feeding tube is in and I was thrilled. I left Kyara with Gunars and had a few errands I needed to run. I had forgotten my purse, so I ran back up to Kyara's room and neurology had been there. Kyara responded to the penlight flashed in her eyes. She blinked when it was shone in her eyes. She did this consistently when the neurologist tried her, so we are pretty sure she was really reacting and it was not just coincidence. I then had to admit to him that she did that last night and in my excitement about the feeding tube this morning, I had forgotten to tell him. Sorry! So I left and then around 1:30 Gunars text me. They are taking out her breathing tube! WHAT?! Really? Now?! I got back as soon as I could and when I walked in Kyara was "SITTING" IN GUNARS' LAP! No breathing tube and maintain her oxygen saturation levels without any supplemental oxygen! Wow! I was thrilled!! I say the word sitting, but take it in a loose sense. Think of a toddler who you are trying to put in a carseat and they are trying not to go. You know how they stiffen up? That was what Kyara looked like, but I was so excited to just have her out of bed!

Mr. Dan came in around 3:00 and stretched Kyara out. She was not so thrilled with Mr. Dan, and I love it. Kyara GROWLED at him! If you have ever seen Kyara mad, I mean really mad, you know, she growls. Oh my, I almost peed my pants! Mr. Dan decided to go down to his stock room and see if he could fit Kyara for a wheelchair. He came back with a cool chair that fits perfect. It hold her head, has chest straps to hold her up, leg straps for her thighs, and a strap for her shins. It also can lean back to help her hold her head in place. Very cool. So we got Kyara settled in her chair and she chilled for the next 3-4 hours sitting in her chair and out of bed!

Today has been a very eventful day. We are very encouraged by Kyara's progress, but I do want to make something clear. Although Kyara seems to be more aware of her surroundings, she is still in a big brain fog. She still is not responding to commands, she is still not tracking with her eyes. She is improving everyday, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. Kyara has a LONG way to go.

We also received a carepackage from Kyara's teachers, Mrs. Carlisle and Ms. Laurie from Willis Road Elementary. It was perfect. They sent pictures from school, smells from class, cd of music from class, book that Kyara liked, and a cassette tape that brought tears to our eyes. When we played it for Kyara and she heard her classmates, her eyes opened a bit wider. Thank you so much! It is PERFECT!!

I took pictures today, I will post them later. Take care and thank you again for all of your continued prayers, love and support.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Every day I log in and read this I get more and more excited and encouraged. This is great news Genie.... and yes, while we can't get ahead of ourselves... this is a fantastic milestone no matter what!
Keep it up Kyara!!!! you are ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!!
Lots of love,
Tina, Carlos & Nicolas

Anonymous said...

THAT IS AWESOME NEWS, GENIE!! Kyara is definitely on track to a full recovery (as far as we can tell in our non-expert opinion), but it is superb news nevertheless. We are so happy to hear the good news, so happy for Kyara being able to get out of bed and for her little but significant improvements. Keep it up, little Kyara, you're one little fighter!!

Thinking and praying for you,
Michelle & Eddy

Anonymous said...

What wonderful giant baby steps. I am soo proud of all of you!!! Lots of love and prayers
The Lanes

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars-
Kyara is one tough little lady! How fantastic! Keep on with the positive thinking!
Prayers will continue, happy thoughts for y'all will continue, and well wishes, too!
Love and hugs,
Lorri, Paul, Matthew and Megan

Pictures and Posts said...

We heard about Kyara through a friend (Megan Pinkston). My wife, sons and I have added her to our prayers...

...and Father,
Surround Kyara
with your Angels tonight.
Hold her hand,
kiss her cheek,
we know she’s safe
you're by her side.


God Bless
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Wow, everyday brings more encouraging news! Keep it up Kyara, you are so brave and strong. We love you sweet girl.
So glad to hear your dad made it there safely and everyone is there together. Even though Kyara is unable to express in words, I do believe she knows you are all there and feels your love surrounding her. Every one of you have played a major role in her recovery.
We will continue to pray for a full recovery and Thank the Lord for each and every step in the right direction.
Take care and let us know if you need anything.
We love you all,
The Henley's

Anonymous said...

we love you guys and are praying for even more positive steps this weekend. please kiss the girls and tell kyara that we are so proud of her showingher strength!

love,
josette and laurie

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Kyara, you are doing a great job heal at your on pace sweetie. We all are praying for you and your family. Also you are a very blessed little girl to have such a wonderful family and whole group of friends who love love and pray for you daily. Have a good day sweet girl and Genie and Gunnars remain positive you guys are doing a great job!! Please give Kyara kisses from me and tell her I love her and miss her.
Love to all
Misty Evans

Anonymous said...

It's so great to keep hearing the good news! Keep taking those steps in the right direction! I tear up every time I read the blog and it's so great that they have been tears of joy lately. The care package from Willis got me this time... I don't guess you want the smell of a sweaty gi (karate uniform) to help Kyara remember stuff :) Hugs to everyone!

The Lopers

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!! Every step forward is a step closer to complete recovery, and I cannot even imagine the exitement you guys feel. It is awesome to see God's hands at work!! We will conintue to pray.
Than Brandons

Unknown said...

We're so happy to read your latest update and being very thankful for all the baby steps and big miracles! Sending you more well-wishes and prayers!

Love,
Ann, Rho, Randal

Unknown said...

Genie--How EXCITING! There is nothing like being able to hold your baby again after such a long time. Be careful with that wheelchair, though... even though she's strapped in I could very well see her breaking out and running off, she's such a strong little girl! I'm so glad she's got the feeding tube again. This can only make her stronger! We will keep up our prayers, and ask her guardian angel to work double-duty.
Love, Michelle

P.S. Wherever did you find a cassette player??? ;o)

Anonymous said...

Praise GOD from whom all blessings flow! I am so happy to hear the news of Kyara's progress, and I am equally relieved to hear the revived tone in your posts, Genie.
Love,
Becky Tonn Gaston

Anonymous said...

God is so good! We will continue to pray that each and every day brings new "baby steps" toward recovery.

I just asked Joshua if he wanted to tell Kyara anything and he said, "I want to give her a hug and a kiss! She is one of my favorite friends. She is the greatest!"

The Sibley Family

Unknown said...

tears of happiness are flowing for you, Kyara, and your family. This is such good news, but I'm definitely sending more positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Anonymous said...

Please know that Kyara as well as your whole family are in my prayers daily. God bless you all.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi! You dont know me, but we heard about Kyara a while back and I got an email from a friend the other day asking for prayer. We live in Fayetteville. I just want you to know that we pray for her daily, and I log in every day to see how Kyara is doing. May God continue to heal her and your family.
Love, The Allen's (Paul, Mandy, Jaden, and Rachel)

Cristina Marquês said...

Genie,

All my prayers to Genie, you and Gunars. Keep the positive thinking, Genie is a strong girl and she will overcome these hard times.

Big Hug from Lisbon (Portugal)