Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Friday, January 9, 2009

Back to Life, Back to Reality...

This week Kyara and Skylar went back to school. Back to routine, back to getting up early, and back to friends. This was a great relief for all of us, I think. Kyara was ready to get back to school to see friends and her teachers! Skylar is a social butterfly and is as happy as a lark at school. I was ready for a routine. It is still in the process of being worked out, but I hope Kassey will get back on a regular nap schedule and that I can finally clean my house :)

Kyara has been able to swallow foods fine this week, our main concern is the amount of her intake and her weight loss. She has lost 5 pounds since we have been home, this is 1/8 of her body weight, and too much for her to have lost in 3 weeks. She has simply not been interested in eating. I have gotten a bit... no, a LOT frustrated with this issue. I feel like I am watching her melt away and I can't convince her to eat. We have been super sweet, begged, been mean, tried to reason with her, etc. but she was not interested. And when we say she is not eating, I mean she will eat 2 nibbles of donut and say she is done. She chews up food then spits it out. I am not sure what to make of it all, but help is on the way...

Tonight Kyara ATE dinner. She ate a whole helping of mac-n-cheese and 9 (yes, we counted) fried ocra. This is HUGE!!!! I am so happy to have her eat some. Today I also got her to drink some of her high energy drink. Kassey is sick and taking medicine, so I told Kyara that she had medicine, too. I pulled some of her drink into a large syringe and told her it was medicine that she had to take. At first she resisted, but I insisted and said it was not an option, and IT WORKED! I hope tomorrow it will work again :)

On Tuesday of next week we are planning on doing a swallow study to determine if her suture line has strictured down again. This might explain why she has not wanted to eat. If it is strictured, we will do a scope and dilation on Friday. I am ok with it either way. Our GI doctor (Dr. Meyers) in Atlanta will be able to do both things, so it is not a case where we would have to go back to Michigan, thank goodness. I just want Kyara to be healthy and happy, so whatever we need to do, we will.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh, yay, I'm glad she ate something. That must be agonizing to watch her lost weight like that. I'm so glad you're still doing updates. I don't comment on them all the time, but I read every one!!

Michelle said...

Hopefully she will start eating again. You've got to remember, that it has been a LONG time since she has really "eaten" and some foods might seem strange to her. Hang in there, it will come back.