Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Scary Episode

Last night was calmer than the night before. I got a couple of "naps" inbetween nurses coming in to check on Kyara or to give medications. I slept with her in the air bed which changes pressure in its air chambers every couple of minutes to decrease chances of bed sores. This is good for her, not so comfortable to sleep on for me. Everytime I would get a little comfortable, the pressure would shift. That's ok though, I was more than happy to have the discomfort if it meant I got to cuddle with Kyara. She slept well, so that was good. This morning the nurse came in to take a temperature (they were unable to get a reading yesterday, she kept reading "Low"). This morning her temperature was 93.9. Ok, normal is 98.6. And it is amazing that she is warmer today than yesterday. We are attributing this to her neurologic instability and signs of her body not able to work right anymore.

Ms. Michelle from Willis Road came to visit this morning and while she was here we got Kyara up and sit in Ms. Michelle's lap. Kyara started to sound gurgly (?) so I suggested I take her back to sit her up. As soon as I got her up, she started vomiting and had trying to cough/gasp for air. My dad was here to, so after a minute when she still had not cleared it all and was starting to lose her color, I told him to get the nurse. It was very scary to watch her turn grayish-blue in front of my eyes and know that this could be IT. I held on to her and told her how much I loved her, over and over again. Beth, Kyara's home nurse was here and immediately came in and told me to move over to the bed where they could get some oxygen on her and suction. by the time we got over there, Kyara's color started to return and she finally made some good coughing sound. They still suctioned out ALOT of thick, thick mucus out. The thought is that she had a mucus plug that she was unable to breath around and that is why she turned blue. It was scary. I know that she is going to leave us one day soon, but I was not quite ready for today to be the day. I don't know if you ever get ready for that day. No matter how much we prepare ourselves, when we are facing it, I was scared.

Gunars, Skylar, and Kassey are going to come up this afternoon. The plan is for them to spend the night tonight. I can't wait to hold them! Thank you for the prayers and well wishes! They mean the world to us!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genie: All we can do is pray and keep sending our love your way. Stay as strong as you can and know that you all are loved so much. Joanne and Bill

Anonymous said...

I pray you can feel all of the love which surrounds you and your family at this time as it is stronger than ever! Kyara is in my heart and prayers.

Melissa Trebuchon

Anonymous said...

I am sure you have at least some idea of the numbers of people Kyara and your family has touched throughout this long, difficult ordeal starting last year. You are in many people's prayers, including mine! You said it best...strong, awe-inspiring! May Kyara always live long and strong in each of us.
Stephanie

Laura Long said...

Genie,
No parent or child should have to endure all that you have. You have all been an inspiration to us that have followed through your posts. We love you and would give you our stength if we could. I feel you have made the right decision and we will continue to pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Your family is in our prayers.
Casey & Luke

Gayle said...

Dear Genie and all your dear family,
We are thinking of you all most all the time, and praying for you to get extra special strength for this time. We are so glad you are able to be with Kyara.
love
Butch and Gayle

Gayle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh I cantinagine what you are going through! I remember meeting all your precious family in AA. I will be praying for peace for your family in these days and peace for your precious girl! Enjoy every second with her.

Anonymous said...

Praying so very hard for peace and comfort for this sweet little girl. May you find some comfort knowing that she has touched so many through her struggles. We will continue to pray for your strength during the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for all of you! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!
Marilyn(Kyle and Kevin's mom)

Anonymous said...

Genie & Gunnars,

Our love and prayers are with you all. We cannot tell you enough how many lives Kyara and your family have touched. There will be many more souls in Heaven along with Kyara because of her story. Her story will continue even after her life here on this earth is done, and I know many more lives are yet to be touched by her. Life is so precious and so short, and Kyara reminds me of that daily. Kyara is in my thoughts on a daily basis, and I cannot tell you enough how it has changed my life and how I treat everyone around me. She is so precious - as is Skylar and Kassey - and all of you. It has been a privilege to be a part of your lives, and of Kyara's life as well. Know that God has His arms around her, and He loves her more than anything. She will be with Him soon, and at peace. We pray for God to give you strength and peace, and to begin healing you all. We love you all, please let us know if there's anything we can do! Gracie told me to tell you she loves you all too!

Love,

Allison

Anonymous said...

There are simply no words of comfort that could possibly ease your pain at this time. Just know that everyone is surrounding you with our love and prayers. Much love to all of you.

Linda Beaubien

Unknown said...

Genie and Gunars,

I am so touched by how you are handling everything that has come your way. You all have gone through so much. Kyara and your whole family have been in our thoughts and wish that there was better news. You're in our prayers, and may you find some peace in the days ahead of you.

Love,
Ann, Rho, and Randal

graham said...

Genie, God bless you and yours as you pass through these difficult days. I send my love to you, Peggy and all and prayers for Kyara and all of you. Your faith is awe inspiring. Graham D.