Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kyara's Celebration

Yesterday was perfect, as perfect as it can be when you are missing your daughter. The amount of love and support we received was amazing. We are thrilled with the toys that we will donate to Children's Healthcare in Atlanta. Kyara played with the toys so much while we were there, we feel it is the perfect way to remember her.

She looked like a beautiful angel. I was pleased that she still looked innocent and like a little girl. She was not heavily made up, she look...perfect.

The service was great, too. As much of it as I could hear, anyway. Kassey wanted to play with the toys and touch Kyara's picture, so she was a bit...noisy. Gunars read a euology that was awesome. Really explained Kyara's life and how much impact she has had on ours. Reverend Mark Westmoreland's sermon and Kristen's scripture readings were right on.

After the service we released doves and then went to Kyara's "birthday celebration." Skylar thought this idea up. We were discussing whether Kyara would age in heaven. I said, "I don't know." She asked, "Will she have a birthday?" I said we can still celebrate her birthday. And then after thinking about it for a second, I said, "You know, it is like she has been born again, just in Heaven. She has moved from this world and is now in her Heavenly Body. Skylar said, "So it is like she has two birthdays." Exactly. So from then on, we decided the reception after the service would be referred to as a Birthday Party. We had yellow, pink, and purple balloons. The tables were covered in the same colors and we tried to make it a more festive scene. This is more Kyara's style. It represents her much better than everyone sitting around sad. I hope she enjoyed it.

I thank God everyday for the 5 years we had with Kyara. I thank Him for the new relationships that have been born through Kyara's tragedy. I thank Him for the strength to see the light during the past year and a half. I would like to thank you for reading this blog, posting comments that have kept us going, and for helping celebrate Kyara's life (whether you were there, sent me a message, prayed for us to have strength, or just thought of Kyara).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea the "birthday celebration" is. Children come up with incredible thoughts when they are faced with giving an explanation to things/events.
Though I have not (yet) personally met you, please let me add that Kyara was also very fortunate to have a family like yours. She was blessed to have a life filled with the love that you, Janis and her sisters gave her.
Will all my love,
Valeria (from Italy … an elementary classmate of Janis in Caracas)

Laura said...

I am glad to see (read) that the day was good. I have never met you or Kyara or the girls, however, I have grown to love Kyara through this blog. Skylar had a brilliant idea to have b-day party for her sister :) Your conversation with her touched me deeply.

Thank you for sharing your family with the rest of us. God bless you!

((HUGS))

I knew Gunars back in Venezuela :) Please send him my love as well.

Anonymous said...

Genie and Gunars,
The service was lovely. Your adoration for Kyara showed brightly, from your splashes of yellow to tender stories, to funny stories, to the dear slide show at the Birthday Party. I was blessed by the service. I also thought it was amazing that the doves flew off separately, but joined together in flight.
Continuing to hold you in prayer,
Clara

Eric said...

Genie,
I have to agree with Laura's comment in that I have never met your family, but appreciated being able to get to know them slightly through the blog. The arrangements sounded perfect... I wish I had been able to share in it with you all.
Take care,
Eric Webb

Emily said...

Yesterday I wrote this poem about Kyara.

Angels all around you
Whispering in your ear
His Glory shines on your face
They've been waiting for you here

Opening His comforting arms
To hold you close to His heart
God giggles and kisses you
Now you'll never be apart

Jesus joins the warm embrace
You smile from ear to ear
With His nail-scarred hand He touches your cheek
Now there are no more tears

Though you had to leave this world
Your family and your friends
In Heaven you won't be in pain
Never, never again

Unknown said...

Genie, I am so inspired by your faith and obedience, even during the worst days of your life. God has used Kyra, you, and your family in a BIG way.

I know this blog was somewhat of a release for you, and I hope you will continue to keep us posted on how your life is going. You may even need to come here and post on the days that aren't so easy... Just know that there are tons of people here in "cyber space" who will rally around you with our prayers, support, and uplifting comments.

With my love and admiration for the woman and mother you are,
Becky Tonn Gaston

Anonymous said...

Kyara’s did so much work in the five years of her life here on earth. Your little angel created so much love, compassion and inspiration than most of us will do in a lifetime! Total strangers came together and felt her work. Truly, Kyara is an angel doing God’s work! Kyara’s life celebration was another one of her works. I can not tell you how touched I was with the entire service, especially you and Gunars. Gunars words were absolutely amazing! It is incredibly beautiful to see your daughter still working through others now. Truly, only the work of an angel!

God bless all of you,
Melissa Trebuchon

Anonymous said...

Kyara's photos will remain on our refrigerator and so will all the memories that are embedded in our hearts. I smile when I look at them and they bring tears at the same time. The celebration was unique and beautiful, just like Kyara. Thank you God for the memories that never leave us and the photos we will cherish always. New memories and photos will come but the beautiful smile on an angel's face will always be in full view. We love you all and rejoice in Kyara's homecoming with the King of King's and Lord of Lord's. Many blessings to each of you will come because of the faith you have shown and the experiences and wisdom given to you. God is good and Kyara is holding His hand while singing and rejoicing with all of the angels in Heaven. We will see her again and rejoice with her for eternity. Love, Spokane

Unknown said...

Janis and Genie,
You and kyara inspire all of us to be better, kinder, more loving people. I think of Kyara often. She is a true angel, born to true angels. all my love and best wishes, audrey davidow

Linda Sabala said...

I don't know if Gunars would be willing, but if he would consider posting Kyara's eulogy, those of us who live far away and couldn't be there would be so grateful! I am so glad things went well at Kyara's "Celebration". We won't soon forget how much her life has meant to all of us. God bless you all. Linda, Zachy's Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a neighbor of Missy's and have been following your blog since January 2009. Even though I have never met you or your family I have thought of you often during this time and prayed for you all countless times. I loved reading about the Birthday Celebration, the doves, and all of the toys collected for Scottish Rite. Thank you for sharing your story about your amazing little Kyara and your awesome family, may God continue to bless you and take care of you. Sarah