Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Back in the Gym Again

It is Thursday and we are finally back in the gym again. This is good for all of us. I like seeing Kyara working in the gym and getting out of the room. I think the walls start to close down on us when we stay in the room for too long. With that being said, I am working on getting myself better, so I have been letting my parents and Luz Estela stay with Kyara more. I am trying to get more rest, and revive my engine for the next haul before we get to take Kyara home.

The rehab doctors have decided to botox Kyara's forearms, elbows, and flexors of her fingers tomorrow. She is still very tight, and the baclofen pump is not having the effect we had hoped for in the arm area. Her legs are looking pretty good. I noticed more stiffness in her left leg today when I tried to bend her knees, but they are still adjusting the rate of the pump.

Today Kyara had a good day in therapy. She was "kicking" a ball on command. She would kick her leg out 2-3 inches. She did better with her left leg than her right, but it was still good. She worked on head control and rolling over. Both of these things are more difficult now for a number of reasons (I am guessing, but they make sense to me!) First off, she has been in bed, unable to be moved for a week. Also, the baclofen pump takes away alot of her tone. She had been using the tone to assist her movements, so with the tone gone, it just shows how weak her muscles really are. Time for bodybuilding! In speech today she used to the switch button to let the therapist know she had a dirty diaper. Lindsay had a big button that would say "yes" when you push it. She asked Kyara a number of questions because Kyara was fussy and she was trying to figure out what was wrong. After a few questions with no response, Bunny said "Ask about her diaper." So Lindsay asked, and Kyara pressed the button. Sure enough, she had pooped and peed. So yea! She was letting them know what was wrong.

Overall, I am glad to get back into rehab. I appreciate everyone's concern for Kyara and for the rest of our family. We are very fortunate to have the love and support of so many. It has really meant alot, especially for the last week. I praise God for the progress Kyara has made and look forward to seeing more steps in the positive direction.

6 comments:

Winkie-Dink said...

It sounds like she really did well today!!! And you sound better. but, give yourself permission to have some down days if they come. You are not Clark Kent! Our HOPE word today is YOU! What an amazing daughter you have been all of your life! What a great sister! What a marvelous wife! Most of all---What a super mama!!! YOU ARE SPECIAL IN ALL OF OUR HEARTS!!! Love you, wink

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to here about Kyara's progress. I think about all of you alot and continue to pray for Kyara and each of you. I really miss you guys but am glad that you are all together at home. Take Care!!:)Tedra

Michelle said...

Wonderful that Kyara is back in the gym! Now, if I can only figure out how to take myself to the gym... So good to know she is responding appropriately to questions/commands... it shows those cognitive and motor pathways are on the mend!

Many, many prayers,

Michelle

ireina said...

I am glad Kyara is back in therapy and improving. That is great. Hopefully she will be able to go home soon, I know that will help with improvement, just her being able to sleep in her own home I think will help her improve more in ther therapies. I am sure she misses those homely smells. Our prayers continue for all of you, hand in there and keep strong. God is with you all, even though sometimes it may not feel like it, he never abandons us, we just don't understand a lot of things. God bless you all.
Love,
Ivette
P.S. I am giving the kids a party again this year in July, hopefully you ALL will be able to attend.

Anonymous said...

I heard about Kyara through Becky Gaston at church and have been reading your blog everyday since early February. I just wanted you to know that you have another prayer warrior out there for Kyara and your family. God is an amazing God who will never leave Kyara--ever! He is right with her through it all. Keep doing what your doing...I think your amazing.
Laurie Waer

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKYLAR!!! Monday the 18th!! Love you! Mimi,Pop Pop,
Alex and Morgan!