Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School

I know I wrote in my last post that I would write again in just a few days, and then the days became weeks, but we have been CRAZY!  Or, maybe I have been crazy.  I guess it is not fair to assume everyone else in my family feels as out of control as I do.  What could make me so busy? Well, lets step back a bit in time and find out what the Dzenis clan has been doing.

As my  last post said, we made dinner for the families and staff members at Hospice Atlanta on Friday, August 6th (Kyara's earthly birthday).  I didn't know how I would feel going back into the same center where Kyara spent her last days.  Looking around, going to the playroom, and seeing some of the nurses who cared for her was a little difficult, but not as bad as I thought it would be.  I actually kinda enjoyed being there.  God was lifting me up that night, because instead of sadness of what we have lost overwhelming me, I was happy to be there serving others.  Providing good, warm, homecooked comfort and love. 

We served the dinner/buffet in the library and in the back there are windows and a door that opens up to a courtyard.  While we were sitting around talking, it began to snow the biggest snowflakes I have seen.  They were as big or bigger than the ones in Michigan (which I thought were the size of a small car!).  Imagine, SNOWING in August... in Georgia (it was close to 100 degrees outside).  Skylar and I walked over to the window, amazed by what we were seeing and realized it was a white crepe myrtle dropping flowers that was creating the "snow".  The crepe myrtles were so tall (above the roofline) that we did not notice them at first.  Haha!  As a mother of an angel, I find myself looking for signs that Kyara is trying to reach out to me all the time.  Was this a sign, was she saying "I'm here, too?"  Or, was this just flowers falling from the trees?  My yard sign swinging in the breeze, except there is no breeze... is that you, Kyara?  The rainbows?  The chill bumps I get at strange times?  The birds that come to our breakfast room window when we are eating?  Even Skylar mentioned that she sees a yellow butterfly everyday and "is it following me?  It is Kyara."

The next day, Saturday, August 7, my late grandfather was inducted into Jordan High School Hall of Fame.  He was a vice principal and principal at the school for about 30 years.  It was an amazing honor to able to attend his induction with my family.  Papa was an extraordinary man and made a positive impact on so many lives at Jordan High School.  After Kyara's death, I actually had some of his old students write me letters to let me know how much they respected my grandfather and were sure he was already in heaven to help welcome Kyara.

We are also spending time in north Atlanta at Gunars' brother's (Zigurds) house.  What do you get when you put 2 civil engineers and 1 chemical engineer together?  A huge, beautiful deck that will hopefully be done soon!  Gunars, Zigurds, and their dad (Eriks) have been working on this deck all summer.  Once it is completed it will be amazing!

Skylar started school on Monday, August 9th.  I can't believe she is in third grade.  We had meet the teacher on Friday before school started, and that was hard for me.  I am not sure what it is about the elementary school that gets me everytime I go, but it makes me sad.  I think it has to do with the fact that Kyara should be in first grade there, and she's not.  I walk down the hallways and it reminds me of taking her to school.  OUCH! After meeting Skylar's teachers, we went back to Kyara's Pre-K teacher's class.  Mrs. Carlisle and Ms. Laurie have been so great to us, and we wanted to say hello.  Well, I can truthfully say, I hope I never go in her classroom again.  That was more powerful and painful than I can explain.  I saw her cubby where she put her backpack.  The table she sat at on the first day of school when we came to celebrate her 4th birthday with icecream.  And, to top it off, there is a little boy in the class with some disabilities due to cardiac arrests he had as an infant.  While we were there, the mother and son came in.  She was so excited that her son was able to go to school.   He has overcome and continues to overcome so many obstacles.  While I am thrilled for them, my heart breaks!  I am jealous that Kyara wasn't able to recover like that, too.  They were so excited and I felt like punching a wall.  I said congratulations to them and got out as quick as I could before I burst into tears.  And so it goes....

Skylar has also started soccer again.  She is playing on a travelling team and it is much more serious than the recreation team she played for last year.  The first week of school, she had practice from Monday-Thursday.  This past weekend, Skylar had her first tournament!  4 soccer games in 2 days.  She was exhausted.  I LOVED IT!  It brought me back to my years of playing.  I had forgotten how much I love to be at the soccer field!

Kassey also started school last week.  She is going 2 days a week from 9-12.  She is going to the same pre-school/church that Skylar and Kyara went to.  Again, it was a little difficult to go into the school and see the same faces, the same rooms, the same hallways that Kyara ran down.  But, not as difficult as Willis Road was.  I think it is because Kyara completed her time at Cornerstone Kids, and she should be at Willis Road now.

During the time Kassey is at school, you would think I'd have plenty of time to write a post, right?  But, I am going to school now again, too!  I am finishing my teaching certification and I use the time Kassey is at school to study CHEMISTRY!  YIKES!  And now so much of the classes are online, I am having a hard time keeeping up with them.  Technology is kicking my rear! I am having a hard time FINDING my assignments, let alone understand the material.  I guess I will figure it out, but for now, I am drowning in this stuff!

Gunars is doing well.  He has been playing soccer and basketball during the week at night and enjoying a little family time on the weekends.  In his last soccer game, he pulled a hamstring.  He said he was trying to rip a hole in the back of the net, but instead he hurt himself.  :)  I know he enjoys playing and it helps relieve stress so I hope he will be feeling better soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genie, As I read your post I was walking with you into Kyara's classroom...it tears my heart out just thinking of the pain you must have felt. Time will pass and there will still be times of deep grieving for her. Thinking of where she is and who holds her is a comfort yet I imagine a bit of jealousy too. We continue to pray for healing and celebrate new beginnings for your family. It is truly a blessing that glimpses of Kyara occur thru God's little reminders like flowers, butterflies and children who take notice of things that touch their heart. We love yall and look forward to your visit. Spokane