Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Monday, September 28, 2009

2 Weeks In...

Where to start... sometimes I am not sure. I suppose the easiest thing is to start where the last entry leaves off. That makes sense...right? But sometimes, one is too excited or their heart is too full to begin so far back. So... I am going to start with the exciting news first.

KYARA SMILED A REAL SMILE ON SATURDAY!!!! Thank you, God!! This smile filled my heart like I can't explain. It was a real smile, not one that I was questioning "was is or wasn't it." It was a true smile. If only I could have gotten a picture of it! Here is the cruel part of not capturing the smile with a picture... she has not smiled like that since. Although I felt like I would never be able to forget what it looked like, as if the smile was etched on the back of my eyeballs, it is slowly fading away. I know I saw teeth, but did I see dimples? I am not sure. I can't see it in my mind as clearly anymore. But, I know it was a beautiful smile and if she can do it once, she will be able to do it again. I will wait for that next smile and ALWAYS have my camera ready! It is amazing, just when I start to feel like things are not progressing, God provides something to say "Keep positive, keep faithful, and keep loving."

Since Kyara has started the suit therapy, she has begun to move her right arm more and tonight she moved her right leg to bend her knee while lying in Gunars' lap. She seems to have a bit more control in her trunk and is holding her head up more often. I see improvements everyday, so I am thankful that we decided to go forward with the suit therapy.

Gunars and I took a nice trip down to Gainesville, Florida for alumni weekend for Gator Soccer. We got to see the Gators play a couple of soccer games and see the Florida vs. Tennessee game. It is great to be a Gator! We stayed with Gunars' old roommates from college and had a great time talking about "the old days!" It was also great to catch up with my old teammates. They are so awesome... the alumni had a tailgate fundraiser to help Kyara's medical costs and we GREATLY appreciate the donations. I am hoping to get her a special tricycle with the money for Christmas. I am told that it takes about 3 months to have one built, so I need to get on that!!

Skylar has lost her first top front tooth. She yanked it out by herself yesterday, and the silly toothfairy got caught up in traffic last night and didn't make it here before she got up. Hopefully the toothfairy will get on the ball tonight!

Kassey is as crazy-fun and stubborn as they get. She looks up to Skylar and wants so much to be like her big sister. Lately I have been catching her in Skylar's bed. This wouldn't be such a big deal, except Skylar's bed is 6 feet off the ground (she has a loft bed)! She gives lots of kisses to Kyara and takes good care of her... rubbing her legs with lotion, showing her boo-boos, and letting me know when Kyara is crying. She loves both of her sisters very much.

We have many things to be thankful for. I am going to continue to pray for more success with the suit therapy and for help knowing what to do about schooling for Kyara. Thank you for your prayers, comments, and best wishes.

6 comments:

ireina said...

Wow, this is all such great news. I can't help but have tears in my eyes every time I read your posts. I can feel your emotions in every one of them. They are tears of happiness that things are moving along. God is always with us no matter how bad we feel and think he is not, that is when he carries us. I am so glad things are getting better. Our prayers continue for Kyara and all of you. You are all in our hearts.
LOVE,
Ivette

Anonymous said...

Awesome news Genie!! We serve an Awesome God! He never ever leaves us. We are so thankful that He will continue to give you glimpes of His love through your children that He has blessed you with. Keep the faith, His love is has no end.

May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete will all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Eph. 3:19

God can accomplish more than we might ask or think...Love, Spokane

Laura said...

a smile is so wonderful!!! YAY!!!

I hope all continues to go well with suit therapy. It is so amazing that she has made progress in the short time. May God continue to bless you all!!!

(It wonderful that God is mindful of us and is always there when we need him most. When we are feeling low, he sends us a 'sign' letting us know we are not alone. this is often not easy to see when we are struggling. He loves us and is always there for us!)

graham said...

Genie, just a note to let you know your Cuz Graham checks in on you and Kyara all along. I celebrate with you her progress and, yay, this IS good progress! Your posts are so heartwarming and gut wrenching at the same time. Bless your transparency! I lift you and yours up in prayer for His tender mercies and awesome strength. Love to you and all of yours, to your Mom and Dad. Graham

Ronit said...

your writing is beautiful, Genie...it reflects all the love you feel for the girls, for Gunars, for God, for those around you and those you do not know in person. As I read the part of Kyara smiling, I kept on reading it time and time again, I DID NOT want to continue reading anything after that, just wanted to stay with the image of that beautiful smile you described with such detail for us.
We are all waiting for the next hundreds of smiles right here with you.
love always,
Ronit

Anonymous said...

This is great news Genie and we all celebrate with you! I told Gracie about Kyara's smile and she just beamed from ear to ear! She asks about you all daily and wants to see Skylar so bad! We're praying for you guys daily and pray for many more smiles to come from Kyara!

Love,

Allison