Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Sunday, August 2, 2009

School Decisions Bite the Big One

I don't know what to do about Kyara's schooling. I thought I knew, but now I am completely confused. I had a meeting this past week with the Coweta County School people to discuss eligibility and placement. It was a bit of a reality check. I sat there for 2 hours while they listed all of Kyara's past and present medical problems. Her limitations and weakness were written in black and white right there in front of me. I don't know why this came as a shock to me. For the last 6 months, I have been with her, talking to doctors, discussing her situation with therapist, etc, but during this meeting, it all became real. I really have to choose where to place my child. The best place for Kyara may REALLY be in a profound classroom (a special education classroom for profoundly disabled children). This would mean Kyara would not be going back to her old school. Maybe I am selfish, but I WANT Kyara back at Willis Road, where I know people and where the teachers, staff, and students know her. But if that is not the right place for her, if she is not going to get the education she needs there, then I need to be open to the other school. As one of the Coweta County people said to me (which really hit me hard): This is not the same Kyara that they knew at Willis Road. Well, no, she is not the same. But she is still Kyara. And I don't know that she not the same on the inside. My fear is that she will be placed in this profound classroom and be pushed aside to stare out the window all day. I am told this will not happen, but it worries me. I also wonder... Are they afraid of Kyara? When she said, "This is not the same Kyara..." she said she was concerned about the other students reaction to Kyara. I have found that it is the ADULTS, not the kids (especially the younger kids) that have a hard time accepting Kyara. Kids want to ask questions, they want to know why Kyara is like this now. Many adults seem to stare or immediately shift their gaze away like they may catch whatever it is Kyara has. I, for one, am more appreciative when someone asks us what's wrong and they speak to Kyara, rather than run away like we have the plague.

Ok, so I am not sure what all that was about, but... moving on...

We are still looking into the suit therapy for Kyara. I think we are going to go for it. It is pricey, but NOW is the time to push all the therapy we can. Kyara will go for 3 weeks and it is 4 hours a day and 5 days a week. The place that does the therapy (Kidz in Motion) is in Villa Rica, so I will be travelling there and home everyday. We are going to delay her starting school until she has completed the therapy. In the mean time, I have agreed to do a homebound IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for Kyara so that she will not be considered absent while in therapy.

Kyara's birthday is just a couple of days away, and I pray that we will make it through the day with laughter and not a lot of tears. She will be 5, and I am amazed by how fast it has gone by. She has endured so much in her 5 years here on earth, it doesn't seem right. It is about time for something to go right for her. Maybe this suit therapy will help jump start her recovery. I am praying to know the right decision for Kyara.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have followed Kyara's story for a while now - we pray for her every single day. You are a strong mom, a loving mom, and you are right - Kyara IS in there - and she needs you to fight for her to have the opportunity to come out. We will pray for you as you have to make this difficult decision........God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Once she starts school,can you do "pop in" visits? It might ease some of your concerns if you could come rather unannounced and just see what is occurring.I don't know how it will be received but I have been involved in more than one school that this is rather common with special ed.Also, most places allow you to come w/o the child and preview part of the day. If you email me at school, maybe we can get some additional information on the school.Let me know-
Susan Kennedy

Alicia A said...

I feel your pain so deeply... AJ will also be five this month (14th), and he too has endured much more than any five year old should ever endure.

Push for what you think is right... You can email me anytime you'd like as well. Big hugs...

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea for you to observe and see what goes on in the room the school district recommends for Kyara. As a special ed teacher myself who has worked in a progaram for kids like Kyara, I am guessing that those teachers will be the best equipped both experience and equipment wise to help Kyara move forward towards the goals set forth in her IEP. I am fairly sure they will be happy to have you come often and will be glad to show you various things you can do at home to reinforce what they are doing with her at school.
My heart goes out to you, Genie. You are doing a yeoman's job! Hopefully, those teachers, professionally trained to help Kyara, will be able to do just that, and you will be able to see her progress week by week. Meanwhile, you will be able to have some time to spend with Kassey and to take care of yourself and Gunnars and do all those other healthy things you'd like to be doing..... You are very much in my prayers as you go through these difficult decisions. Much love, MRG

Anonymous said...

We are still praying for you all every day. My specific prayers have been to help Kyara's connections in her brain to increase and heal. I will add that you as a family are able to discern what the best thing for her is going to be...where God wants you to have her in school or which therapy. All big decisions and God will give you the guidance that you need when you need it. We will be praying that the suit helps her in big ways... can't wait to hear about it!

Susan Loper

Christi said...

Have you thought about homeschooling? It would be hard with her condition, but surely her mommy who loves her and wants more than anything to make sure she's cared for and treated like she should be could do so much more for her than a teacher with a classroom full of other kids to worry about. If socialization is what you're worried about, you could join a homeschool group; homeschoolers are also likely to be a lot more accepting of her handicaps.