Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kyara's Birthday Party

So, the actual birthday..day was a bust. It is both Kyara and my birthday, and it was difficult to want to celebrate anything. I cried alot that day. I didn't realize it was going to be so hard. I kept having memories of her last birthday flash through my head. It was hard to NOT go down memory lane. It was the first day of school, Kyara was in PRe-K. I brought icecream to her class since Kyara could not eat cake. I have a picture of her birthday dinner still up on the refrigerator in the kitchen. She is smiling wide. She was happy. She was 4 and did not have a care in the world... ok. Enough of that now...

Yesterday, Saturday, we had a birthday party at the house. We invited our family to join us for a talent show party and each guest was told to bring a talent for the party. This was Skylar's idea. Although we were more than a bit skeptical about how the party would go, I must say it was FUN! We had the kids play outside for a couple of hours, ate pizza and watermelon, and the adults played some game Matt (my little brother) brought. Once the kids were officially drenched in sweat and it seemed like it was getting a little late, we threw all the kiddos in the tub for a "hose down." We then gathered in the family room and drew names out of a hat to perform talents for the show. We had everything from golfing, dancing, and hula-hooping to belly whistling and ear squeaking. There are more talents than I dare list. It was great fun! I am so glad that we had so many participants. I videotaped it, so I can ensure everyone will be nice to me... or else!!! Hehe! Thank God for family. They stand by you when you are down, and back you up when you are ready to get up again.

Kyara is still plugging along. She has been holding her head up for longer periods of time (20-30 seconds, sometimes) and more often during the day. She is working on head control in therapy and I hope it continues to improve. I am not sure why, but she has stopped going on the potty like she was doing. I don't know what has changed, but she used to "go" everytime I put her on it. Now, she is not using it at all. This is frustrating, I hope we can get it going again.

I am still deciding about the school business. I am keeping my options open for now. We are written up as "homebound" until after she does the suit therapy. We have decided to go ahead with the suit therapy. I am working on getting all of the paperwork, xrays, etc. finalized and we hope to start a week from tomorrow (8/17). It will be a 3 week course in Villa Rica, Ga. The therapy place is a little over an hour from our house, so we will stay at home and travel there everyday.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some. I was too busy playing at the party to take pictures. Hopefully my dad (Pop) will have some good ones!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Genie!
Sounds like all of you guys had a great time together. There can be peace found in the midst of any storm. Family is great to have around and there are friends that we love just as much as family too. We continue to pray for your family and that the joy of every moment will become a memory that everyone can clinge to. Thank God that we have memories that will never leave us. There is much to be thankful for and to celebrate. We love you guys. Spokane

Laura Long said...

Genie, hands down I would have to place my vote for Mom of the year with you. You have amazed me with all you have accomplished this year. I know it has been incredibly difficult but you have all been such an inspiration. You certainly earned a day "off" with your tears..they can be so cleansing! We will always keep you in our prayers and will add to that direction for the therapies, school and friends. Much much love!

Creighton's mom said...

Creighton and I continue to pray for your entire family every day. Creighton always reminds me that we must include Kyara and many times he prays for her all by himself. If you ever need friends to help with Kyara's therapy, Creighton would love to help. I pray that God will continue to hold you in His everlasting arms.
The Smith family

NICK PARKS, RN said...

Hi Genie,

First off I want to say happy birthday to both you and Kyara. I know you were hoping for a better day, but I am glad you got to share the time with your family and make the best of it. It breaks my heart to see you guys continuing to struggle with the everyday challenges and hurdles. However, after working with you guys as long as I did, I know that the strength and love your family has for each other, is enough to move mountains. So please don't give up hope, and don't ever hesitate to ask for help if you need it. This is a journey that no one could or should take on their own, but with the love and support of your friends and family, together, you can all change that mountain, one rock at a time. Stay strong, don't let your faith waiver, and don't ever let the tough days over shadow the good ones that are yet to come. we are all pulling for that sweet little girl, and I can't wait to see her smile again also.

Hang in there,
Nick Parks, RN

Kim Behenna said...

Dear Genie,
We have only met once and that was last week at the school you visited. I was one of the teachers in the possible class for Kyara. I just wanted to let you know that you and your daughter have a special place in our hearts. We really enjoyed visiting with you. The reason I am writing is because I feel God has placed us in the same neighborhood for a special reason. Through talking with Susan, the Pre-K teacher, we figured out that you live one street over from me. I was so excited when I heard that. I would love to meet Kyara. We would love for you to join our family at school, but if not, we are still here to help support you. We are praying for you and your family. Hopefully, a friendship will grow from this divine meeting. May God guide you in your decisions. God bless, Kim Behenna