Kyara Dzenis

Kyara Dzenis

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

First Days of School

Kassey loves to put on Skylar's shoes. This morning she found Skylar's soccer bag and decided to give it a go! I promise, I had nothing to do with it. She put the shinguards and cleats on by herself. She reminds me so much of Skylar and Kyara at this same age! I think Kassey looks alot like Skylar but has Kyara's personality!
Kyara getting a lift onto the school bus.

We were waiting for the bus in the pitch dark. That yellow rectangle close to the back of the mailbox is the school bus top coming toward us. By the way...Check out Kyara's new chair!! Hers is finally in. She is styling in the hot pink!!



Skylar and Kyara before Kyara's first day of school. I had to put Kyara's sweater on backwards because I forgot to put it on her before buckling her in the chair. It is way too much work to get the buckles all undone when we were running short on time. I know... Slacker Mom!


Kyara has finally begun school. She went on Monday morning. Rode the bus and everything! I can't believe the bus comes so early. It was a mad rush to get her awake, dressed, medicines in, buckled in the chair and out the door by 7:10. I admit had a couple of tears when they pulled her up on the bus and said "Ok, Mom, we will see you later." Wait a minute! It was relief and anguish at the same time.
Her first day went well. I went in at 11:30 to get her for therapy and Ms. Malcolm and Ms. Kim, Kyara's teachers, said she did great! Yeah! So we headed off to therapy feeling good about school. On Tuesday, Kyara had therapy first, then Kassey and I took her to school. We were suppose to be there by 11:30, but we were late. GREAT :( Our second day at school and we are already late. Not a good way to start. Oh well. What can you do? So we dropped Kyara off and headed to the mechanic. (Oh, did I fail to mention that my steering wheel was not working right when we left therapy? Right, right, right. It only took 3 tries to get out of the parking space and 2-3 tries to get out of the parking lot. Then suddenly, the steering wheel worked again. I was having to put all of my strength and body weight into trying to turn the steering wheel. Scary!)
My mom was nice enough to come rescue us from the mechanic and take us home. Back to Kyara... She finally got home and I got a note from her teacher out of her bookbag. It read..."The honeymoon is over." OH NO! Hahaha! Kyara didn't have such a good day. I couldn't help but laugh a little. I wish it had been a better day, but I know she needs time to adjust. She cried some last year, before her accident, too. I think Kyara has some separation anxiety and this is not new. We will see how she does in the coming weeks.
Today Kyara didn't go to school. Yes, she is scheduled to go, but we had doctor appointments at Scottish Rite (the Atlanta hospital that she was in from April to June) and couldn't reschedule them for a close date. The doctor appointments went well. Just check ups. One thing we discussed was doing more botox on her arms. The rehab doctors agreed and November 18th we will go back and have botox on her finger flexors, her left bicep and her pecs (chest muscles, they are pulling her shoulders forward). I hope this will give her some relief and better range of motion.
So to recap, Kyara has been enrolled in school since last Monday. In those 8 days, she has only gone 2, and we were tardy one of those. I don't think I am winning any Mommy of the Year awards!! :) After the pneumonia wiped out last week, we are still trying to get on track. We will get it sorted out, and Kyara will be the model of good attendance!

6 comments:

Lana said...

You are an awesome Mom!!!!! I am so glad Kyara is in school and that everyone is adjusting to it. Things will get better and everybody will get over all the gunk and stop missing so much school (says the mom with kids that have missed at total of8 days so far) Lots of love and kisses

Anonymous said...

Genie,
God is so good...your family is so blessed to have your dedication and strength. We do not know what the future holds, but we do know who holds our future. Try to find the good in each day, even the not so noticible. We still pray for each of you and all of the unspoken requests of your heart. Abide in Him, rest in Him and trust in Him, only God knows and can meet your every need. We love you and the entire family. Love, Spokane

Anonymous said...

I do not know you and your family personally but have been following your blog for several months now. You are a TERRIFIC mommy! Don't ever doubt that. Those kids know you love them. Wow. I am amazed at all you do and the great Christian attitude you do it with. God Bless You and Yours Always.

Anonymous said...

Genie,
Thanks for sharing Kyara's first days of school with us. This is such a yucky time of year for coughs and such, don't sweat it if you all miss days here and there. So glad you all are settling into a routine. Take care,
Clara

Anonymous said...

If anyone is Mommy of the Year, its you! Thinking about you and your family. Love, Jess Hernandez

Melissa said...

Genie, We will be wishing Kyara the best at school! thanks for keeping us posted on her progress! Love melissa baxter